how often do you clean your Air rifles ???

evo

well it was that time of the month again when I get some of my rifles out to clean, I have done this the first week of every month since the year dot, I have always had the thought that if I look after my rifles then in the long run they will look after me, so I basically get each rifle out of the cabinet, give them a quick wipe down with a dry cloth , then I spray them with a very light dusting of Garlands Gun oil which is in a spray, I then wipe them over to ensure all the metal parts are covered in a very light film of the oil, I then check the air pressure on each rifle and then put them back in the cabinet,

I have always done this as my father always did it and its basically been drummed into me, I always make sure my rifles are in pristine condition and looked after to the best of my ability,i do this to keep the rifles in tip top shape so when it comes to taking one out of the gunroom I know for sure it will be in perfect working order,

how often do you clean yours and what do you clean them with ?. I never clean the inner barrel unless I have an accuracy problem, it takes me about an hour to clean them all but to be honest I think its an hour well spent,

here is a couple I cleaned tonight

011_zpsdirynayl.jpg

013_zpsgerkdmzs.jpg

014_zpsnvu7ycyk.jpg

the rifles are from top to bottom

daystate Air ranger .177

daystate wolverine b .177

weihrauch HW100KT .177

air arms s410 .22 ( pre anti tamper and just totally rebuilt with all new parts)

Air Arms EV2 mk4 ( waiting for john ostler work before using on FT )

I think as you can see by the condition of these rifles that one hour a month is certainly worth it to keep them in tip top shape,

atb Evo

I wipe blood off the metalwork. I spoil them guns.

Actually I do make sure they're dry and wipe them down with an oily rag before I put them away but other than that they go back un-filled and only fill them before I go out - usually because I'm knackered after shooting and have to deal with whatever I may have shot. My rifles are not fancy or expensive so really they just do a pretty basic job, but if I did hft or the like it would probably be different.

Edited by FalconFN

I give them a wipe over when I have used them and make sure they are topped up with air so I can spot leaks and thats about it.

Like you I never clean the barrels unless I have an accuracy issue I cant tie down by checking the usual suspects.

It does help having a huntsman and Merlyn which are both really steel free and coated so no worries about blueing corroding.

same as you evo, i never clean the barrel, i just wipe down with napier spray on a rag. had my first air rifle in abot 1980 and never been without one since. here follows the rifles i have had over the years, had a good few others that i cannot recall models, used to do quite a bit of tinkering when i was a kid. around are way anything went and i remember we used to go down to the cut (canal) there would be about 10 of us with all different types of rifles, we used to call it " gunfight at the ok canal" , some of the lads where a bit mad, he, ho that was along long time ago. 12 years ago i bought my only rifle i now use which is my s410 classic in .177 and find it suits all my needs for squirrels, rats, bunters etc.

diana sp 50

bsa meteor

bsa supersport

weblety vulcan

relum tornado tap loader

crossman 2100

tx 200

bsa supersport

air s410 classic

• 3 weeks later...