UKShootwarehouse vs Pinewood

Cosd

Looking at their ultra light weight magnets, and the cost of the Pinewood (PW circa £300 vs the UKSW at £170) not being an issue, anyone have any experience with these? Any pro's and cons?

Magnet will be used for dead birds only.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

I have a Pinewood.

+ve: light, batteries seems to last longer, doesn't look like it was made by some bloke in his garage

-ve: it is screwed into the ground meaning you get the wire coiled round the shaft which gets annoying. It's expensive. I have lost several of the thumbscrews from the cradles and have to buy pinewood replacements. I don't find the cradles keep the birds on properly and I now add a little tape to the feet. if you get the added stabilising tripod (which you have to really) setting it up becomes slightly more annoying, and finally on about the 10th outing mine shook itself loose, shorter itself and burned out the motor, needing a £60 replacement.

That seems overly critical; once you get used to it it's pretty good and I expect a lot of the problems Coke from my ineptitude. I like it as it means I don't have to carry loads of extra battery weight, I just use a 7ah deben lithium

I also have a cheapo one from AA or A1 which I prefer if I can drive to the hide, as you just stamp it into the ground and away it goes. It weighs a lot more though and eats batteries.

*shorted

*come

Stupid autocorrect

I have had one of the UKSW ultra lightweight rotaries now for quite a few years ( about 8 or 9 I think) with absolutely no problems whatsoever having had hours and hours of trouble free use. Mine is one of the earlier ones which has 3 screw in spikes, now superseded by a lightweight 3 pronged base plate.

Fully recommend the UKSW one although I have no experience of the Pinewood one.

Hope this helps.

I had a UKSW lightweight Rotary from years ago when the three screw in feet were angled outwards.

We made a new base and screwed them in vertically which works much better.

The only problem I have had with the actual mechanicals was when the wiring wore through at the exit from the machine.

Re-wired it and as good as ever.

Great bit of kit.

I have the UKSW one and it's great batteries seem to last longer it's light and really well built, I also looked at buying the pinewood but glad I didn't as have no regrets.

Mine is the new model with tripod base, although it works well it's bulky so won't go in my magnet bag, it's been left behind because of this and although I was able to use the magnet without it, it gradually turns and wraps the cable round itself.

I keep meaning to alter it to just two prongs which will still do the job and also go in the magnet bag.

By the way no magnet bag is included which for the money I do think is a bit if a letdown, I can just about squeeze it into the a1 decoy magnet bag but as with most of their stuff it's cheap and nasty and won't last.

Edit to say a 20 bore spent shell fits the very spikey end perfectly and stops it poking holes in kit or magnet bag!!

Edited by JBS

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at their ultra light weight magnets, and the cost of the Pinewood (PW circa £300 vs the UKSW at £170) not being an issue, anyone have any experience with these? Any pro's and cons?

Magnet will be used for dead birds only.

Cos

Hi Cos

Here is my (un)biased recommendation - UKSW hands down!! :) The machine's are designed and made here in the UK on our factory premises behind the warehouse. The geared motors and components that we use are all of the highest quality that we can source. The motor itself is particularly sophisticated and efficient (which is why it is expensive) but it can also run off a small 12v 7ah battery all day long and is very reliable. We probably should sell it at the Pinewood prices but where we can we keep our margins low and our customers happy!

I have the UKSW one and it's great batteries seem to last longer it's light and really well built, I also looked at buying the pinewood but glad I didn't as have no regrets.

Mine is the new model with tripod base, although it works well it's bulky so won't go in my magnet bag, it's been left behind because of this and although I was able to use the magnet without it, it gradually turns and wraps the cable round itself.

I keep meaning to alter it to just two prongs which will still do the job and also go in the magnet bag.

By the way no magnet bag is included which for the money I do think is a bit if a letdown, I can just about squeeze it into the a1 decoy magnet bag but as with most of their stuff it's cheap and nasty and won't last.

Edit to say a 20 bore spent shell fits the very spikey end perfectly and stops it poking holes in kit or magnet bag!!

PS - looks to me like you should treat yourself to a good quality bag JBS ;)http://www.ukshootwarehouse.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=303&search=rotary+bag

I have a lot of confidence in UKSW magnet's, but after having bought another one recently, my main criticism is that the thing spins way too fast and you have to invest in a speed controller to moderate the speed down to a sensible level, as, without it, it'll spin like helicopter blades, so fast you can't even keep the Pigeons on the arms..!

This is odd because the older model rotated at a much more sensible speed, battery life was around 4.5 hours, with the latest model plus a speed controller you are lucky to get 3 hours battery life.

The Pinewood rotaries that I have seen look very flimsy when compared to the UKSW models, and the arms look way too short, but of course the upside is that they are a good deal lighter.

Cat.

I have no experience of either magnet , but for customer service UKSW win hands down .

After my one and only time dealing with pinewood I swore I would never use them again.

Had a bad first-time experience with Pinewood, too. Paid a lot (relatively speaking) for a magnet that was very obviously faulty, and had a hard time getting my refund. Just my personal experience of them......

I met kelda from uksw at a show once, contacted before hand and she personally brought me down a lite weight whirly that i wanted to look at, there was none at the show. I brought it there and then and im impressed with it, good quality, lite and runs all day off a very small battery. Good quality case also. I haven't dealt with pinewood so can't comment on them.