SGC timeline in Powys

buze

I've submitted my application about 6 weeks ago, not a peek since -- anyone has an idea how long it takes in mid-wales?

Gun cabinet is neatly installed, deposits are on for our 'first guns', now just need the certificate to be able to shoot without an instructor!

Powys has had virtually a 100% turnover of staff. From what I recall it was a really great setup, the staff were very laid back and shooter friendly, also knowledgable. At least a few were both locals born and bred (very important in mid Wales) and shooter themselves. You could say it was close to perfect, community policing at its best.

New boss (a woman I think who knew absolutely nothing about shooting) upset the apple cart, lots of people left or were pushed out and were replaced by people who had no idea what they were doing. Lots of shooters have had bad experiences through basic ignorance from new staff members out of their depth.

Don't think there is an agenda, just chaos

Edited by Vince Green

Still waiting on a variation from September! What seems to happen is just before 2 months is up you'll get an FEO visit and then I'm guessing/praying/hoping a further 2 months down the line they'll issue your ticket. Hopefully mine will be back by the 17th which is exactly 4 months since it was officially in the system! Pester them though to make sure it's in the system they lost mine to begin with.

I did question the legality of that but nobody really had an answer. My thinking is it would be illegal because until the ammunition has been used there is a box of fully loaded bullets floating around in the ether. And if it's not illegal then why do we have to have all the ammunition we buy recorded on our ticket so they know where it's all gone.

Would I be right in thinking that if a friend with the same caliber gave you bullets and then signed the ammo on to your ticket from theirs once you got it back then that would be totally legal ?

Yep same as buying them. Only I haven't got my ticket at the minute so I was curious about where that would leave me if I did that.

I live near Welshpool and waited 4 months for my renewal. The best thing to do is ring them a couple of times and if you dont have any luck ask how to go about making a complaint about the length of time you have had to wait and see if that gets things moving. Unfortunately Powys is a big county, sparsely populated with a fair few licence holders so not easy to cover. The officer who covers the northern part of Powys is a decent guy....just a case of getting to meet him.

Good luck bud

We had a call with them earlier, and apparently the early checks were made, and we're just waiting for a visit; she said it will probably take another 6 weeks or so to get the certificate. She said mid-wales has quite a bit of a backlog, and they are prioritizing the renewals first.

We had a call with them earlier, and apparently the early checks were made, and we're just waiting for a visit; she said it will probably take another 6 weeks or so to get the certificate. She said mid-wales has quite a bit of a backlog, and they are prioritizing the renewals first.

At least you have had a response which is a start. Give them a call again in a couple of weeks and see where they are up to.

Well i guess we'll have to give them another call mid Feb or so and see how it goes. I think the fact my wife calls might be beneficial -- in a 'parity' world etc etc they might be more inclined to boost a lady's application than the poor random bloke (me ;-))

Well i guess we'll have to give them another call mid Feb or so and see how it goes. I think the fact my wife calls might be beneficial -- in a 'parity' world etc etc they might be more inclined to boost a lady's application than the poor random bloke (me ;-))

They know you work outside Wales so are penalising you for that :lol: