Decoying crows maybe pigeons

Beagle boy

Evening guys, out deciying tomorrow on a maize crops that's been in a couple on months but still plenty of crows and pigeons moving around.

I got told by a mate of mine that using a owl decoy with a dead rabbit and a few dead birds scattered around it to really pull them in.

I'm setting up under a tree in the middle of the feild with good visibility for the crows to see the decoys.

Wouldn't mind doing a few pigeons whilst down there as I've seen good numbers if I could set a few pigeon decoys up on the other side would the owl decoy dead rabbit and dead crows put the pigeons if too much? I'm thinking the owl will but I'm wandering what your guys experiences are?

Cheers rob

Cheers guys, got about 15 dead corvids and 4 decoys, got about the same frozen pigeons.

I'll leave the owl and rabbit then ta for the advice lads

From Leicestershire terry

Crows will decoy easy bud just stick them out any old shape no need to set like pigeon decoying. Mine are set very close just keep still until well in range. Good luck atb Terry

Cheers terry I'll just scatter them about then place the pigeons 20-30 yard away? When I've watched them earlier the pigeons and crows don't seem to feed together down there, I've seen on other stubble where they feed close.

Id be a millionaire Ken if I got back 50 % of the money I'd ****** up the wall lol

Had a decent day hedge ta mate got 22 in the end, the morning was none stop birds but only a few really commited one even landed in the tree above us. Thrn in the afternoon everything just vanished, but at least it didn't rain lol

Cheers rob

Well done :good: you will find the best time for crows is in the morning,unless they on stubble then they will come all day. :good: atb Terry

Cheers terry, yeah it's the over maize stubble and I watched them over a week or so and they were around pretty much all day, another day though I suppose it maybe a different story 😀

Even saw a flock of pink foot geese but it had neither suitable cartridges nor a steel proofed gun. Although I dare say the old Baikel would steels a good go lol

Cheers rob

my eagle owl is in the garden now pigeons sit on it while taking there turn on the bird feeder waste of £12 never mind.

Obviously got used to it in the garden and no it's no threat. I use owl decoys only in February march when crows having baby's and get territorial. Or 3-4 magpies sat round a dead crow works well for me