syndicate bank account

After setting up a shoot for a landowner and finding the required 12 guns.We have selected a shoot captain, a treasurer and a counter signatory.How can we set up a bank account & will a high street bank be interested ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Dave

But is it not hard pretty to get finges in the pie with 2 signatories? Just seems more hassle tracking extra bodies down when someone is needing a bill paid.

Never mind fingers in the pie be lucky to be left with crust crumbs of our shoot. Most DIY shoots there is very little available to get ur finger into. Not unusual for me to actually pay bills from my money as shoot skint will still waiting on folk to pay subs

But is it not hard pretty to get finges in the pie with 2 signatories? Just seems more hassle tracking extra bodies down when someone is needing a bill paid.

Never mind fingers in the pie be lucky to be left with crust crumbs of our shoot. Most DIY shoots there is very little available to get ur finger into. Not unusual for me to actually pay bills from my money as shoot skint will still waiting on folk to pay subs

Agreed there's nowt left on most shoots but plenty of folk who think pie finger is possible

Cheers that makes sense.

Must admit i ust get a few cheques signed in advance, really only need 3 a year anyway, rent, birds and feed (and possibly 1 for wot ever the shoots owns me)

Ours is a pretty small scale shoot so not dealing with a lot of money, possibly if ur a bigger syndicate putting 1500+ birds down ur dealing with more money and potentially pie finger but to be honest doubt it happens very often in diy syndicates

Cheers that makes sense.

Must admit i ust get a few cheques signed in advance, really only need 3 a year anyway, rent, birds and feed (and possibly 1 for wot ever the shoots owns me)

Ours is a pretty small scale shoot so not dealing with a lot of money, possibly if ur a bigger syndicate putting 1500+ birds down ur dealing with more money and potentially pie finger but to be honest doubt it happens very often in diy syndicates

I'd advise against this practice as it is totally against the principle of why two signatories are required.

This happened with one society I know which had several thousand in the bank. The Chairman pre-signed a dozen cheques and the Treasurer then used some to empty the bank account! Police involved and a real mess. The Chairman's name was eventually cleared, but technically he'd been negligent in pre-signing cheques. Turned out the Treasurer was extremely skint and should never have been put into a position where money could be accessed so easily. Make a golden rule that no-one is ever Treasurer if they are living on the bread line!

My Mrs is Treasurer of quite a wealthy society (£60k in the bank) and all cheques are posted to others to sign and posted back. It's a faff, but it's safe.

Also, make sure you can change signatories fairly easily. We ended up having to close one account and open another elsewhere because it was impossible to change signatories.

As Paul T says, pre-signed cheques are a big no-no. Readily open to abuse.

The signatories are taking on liability. So the cheque should be filled in - IN FULL - before it is signed.

As others have said too, you need 'spare' signatories. If someone is away, not available, or just quits the shoot, then you need to be able to continue without it being a major ballache.

You would be suprised, I have known those I believed to be good friends to have sticky fingers when the opportunity presented itself !

Or the opposite where guns who are supposed 'good friends' decide to suggest that your on the make when in reality you bail the shoot out..... each year...... every year!

Or the opposite where guns who are supposed 'good friends' decide to suggest that your on the make when in reality you bail the shoot out..... each year...... every year!

I think that will be more like it for many diy shoots. really a case for at shoot meeting u show last years accounts and have some sort of estimated budget for the coming season.

I realise pre signing cheques does defeat the point, but for our shoot really just the 3 cheques a year anything else i'd have to get it signed.

Bloody hell where is the trust in these syndicates.

Think you guys need new guns if you are worried about money disappearing.

It's always better to keep any shoot however large or small as nothing more than a business, this way no one ever gets to point a finger paul223 is spot on in everything he has said, keep things down the line and you'll have a happy shoot. Edited by E.w.

I don't have that problem I put the money in to buy things and I tell people what they need to pay me for a gun.

Saves all the ball ache of people not pulling there weight on work parties ect.

I'm just surprised people can't be trusted with money but can be to run the shoot

It not about trust, its about proving/providing accounts & leaving a traceable paper trail for legal purposes.

Edited by Davyo

It not about trust, its about proving/providing accounts & leaving a traceable paper trail for legal purposes.

Exactly.

Someone on the previous page said to 'treat it like a business'. That is the only sensible approach. Anything else is asking for trouble, eventually.