Game cover crop size

I plan on putting in at least one 1 acre game strip for next season, most of farm is stubble and the farmer is happy for us to have the game strip (s) more or less where we want.

So, 1 acre is just over 4000 m³, where I want to put my game strip is running along a hedge side that finishes on a slight rise before the field boundary. So all thing being equal, should I request a 100m x 40 m plot or a 200 m by 20 m strip ? ?

To keep a lid on costs I hope to establish a crop that will give me several years worth of cover without redrilling, so something like a standard kale/kinoa/triticale mix with some added chicory to give second and third year cover, especially if the kale fails in year one.

Given the choice I'd definitely go with the 200m by 20m. It's plenty deep enough to give enough shelter, but the 200m will (hopefully) be more attractive for birds out in the fields.

We've tried two cover strips this season each 3m wide strip 200m long set 1m off the hedge and they're pretty useless at doing anything. They should have been at least double the width and the crop failed anyway, but it was all done and dusted before I knew about it.

If you are going kale or a good hardy mix 20m x 200m is ok. If you are looking to push birds into the cover from hedges, fields etc go for the wider option, 20m they can approach (flying) see guns etc moving in and over fly, this is from experience as I have a strip 25m x 200m due to size of field, not the best for holding as it's maize and also cold late season.