6 months wait to clear land in Kent

Kent_keith

It could be that and a lot more. Bad isn't it. And what are the shooting organisations doing about it? Not a lot. If the firearms department haven't got the staff and resources due to cutbacks then the orgs have no sway or influence at all. That's why there is no point in being a member.

Lothian & Borders (as it was....), took over 12 months for a land check....which then came back as failed.

They seemed very surprised to hear that two FAC holders already shot on it & it was passed for them!

Government guidelines stipulate asking local shooters and gamekeepers for advice if it's marginal, clearly not done here. Fail.

Annoying really.

I was told from a member of the licensing team for my force area,that they use goole earth,as I asked for a land check,and they rang me 20 minutes later with it passed,i asked how was that so quick,thats when the person mentioned google earth!!!

A good OS 25:1 map might be better, at least it would show public rights of way, and the topography layout. But better than waiting months for an answer I agree.

It could be that and a lot more. Bad isn't it. And what are the shooting organisations doing about it? Not a lot. If the firearms department haven't got the staff and resources due to cutbacks then the orgs have no sway or influence at all. That's why there is no point in being a member.

I use BASC for insurance and advice, and the fact most people have heard of them when trying to gain permissions, but I think you're right about them having zero influence.

Government guidelines stipulate asking local shooters and gamekeepers for advice if it's marginal, clearly not done here. Fail.

Annoying really.

I think that should be "Government guidelines stipulate asking EXPERIENCED local shooters and gamekeepers for advice if it's marginal. Open ticket holders make their own decision about being a safe place to shoot because they are experienced.

Land checks are there to take into consideration the lack of experience a new shooter has - and the FEO is going to cover his rear in case a bad shot is taken by said new shooter: Who would of course fall back on "well it was deemed a safe area for new shooters"

If that unfortunate event, causing an injury or hitting car or dwelling for example were to happen these days, stand by for even more restrictions.

I think that should be "Government guidelines stipulate asking EXPERIENCED local shooters and gamekeepers for advice if it's marginal. Open ticket holders make their own decision about being a safe place to shoot because they are experienced.

Land checks are there to take into consideration the lack of experience a new shooter has - and the FEO is going to cover his rear in case a bad shot is taken by said new shooter: Who would of course fall back on "well it was deemed a safe area for new shooters"

If that unfortunate event, causing an injury or hitting car or dwelling for example were to happen these days, stand by for even more restrictions.[/u

No it said local shooters, but the funny thing is, I had to prove to my FEO that I had loads of experience in the calibers I was asking for, .22 LR up to .223 both day and night, in all weathers before he would consider putting me up for FAC, I still had conditions (closed) imposed.

The son in law has just told me that a friend of his has been waiting for a FAC renewal for nearly a year in Kent!! This bloke was waiting for 8 months for the cert then he was issued a section 7 which he has been on for 4 months!! And still no ticket in sight. I know of a rifle club that waited 10 months for the clubs certificate to be renewed. I still wait for my cert. Good job I've got stocks of stuff to keep me rolling for a long time.

12months that's a disgrace. Why aren't the orgs or someone doing something about this situation? Surely a complaint to the police complaints authority is in order?

If that unfortunate event, causing an injury or hitting car or dwelling for example were to happen these days, stand by for even more restrictions.

My force do the checks very quickly and they now clear them for the maximum calibre (whatever that is) and then record it on the data base so that they don't have to do it again. I don't see how that takes into consideration the shooter. Even new land to be added does not get the joint visit and discussion suggested.

What surprised me with the whole thing is that they see a farm named but don't know the boundaries what land the farmer may have bought or sold. It seems to me rather pointless.

My force do the checks very quickly and they now clear them for the maximum calibre (whatever that is) and then record it on the data base so that they don't have to do it again. I don't see how that takes into consideration the shooter. Even new land to be added does not get the joint visit and discussion suggested.

What surprised me with the whole thing is that they see a farm named but don't know the boundaries what land the farmer may have bought or sold. It seems to me rather pointless.

Those checks will be the maximum for a closed ticket shooter, and Leicester force review it if another request is made after five years.

An open ticket shooter can use more gun there if he feels its safe.

The son in law has just told me that a friend of his has been waiting for a FAC renewal for nearly a year in Kent!! This bloke was waiting for 8 months for the cert then he was issued a section 7 which he has been on for 4 months!! And still no ticket in sight. I know of a rifle club that waited 10 months for the clubs certificate to be renewed. I still wait for my cert. Good job I've got stocks of stuff to keep me rolling for a long time.

12months that's a disgrace. Why aren't the orgs or someone doing something about this situation? Surely a complaint to the police complaints authority is in order?

Unbelievable!!! I would be on to the chief constable asking why it has taken so long, they are performing a public service after all, that as tax payers we pay for.

• 10 months later...

I asked the Met to clear a piece of land in Kent, I know it's cleared for up to .243 but want to be sure.

(Met) It's in Kent you need to ask them, ok I said, (Kent), you need to ask Met as their your certificate issuers.

(Met) You need to talk to your FEO, phoned him Friday no answer left a mesg, phoned Monday no answer left a message, phoned Tuesday no answer left a message???? I have a .243, DSC1 and stalking permission elsewhere, Your opinion :( shall I just wait, or I'm I being too inpatient?

The concept of land being cleared "up to .243" or whatever is simply nonsense. If you are shooting safely with a backstop then you will be safe with any centre fire. If you are shooting at the horizon then it makes little difference whether someone a couple of miles away receives a 100 grain or 200 grain projectile through their kitchen window. Safety resides with the FAC holder and when a certificate is granted they are being trusted in many ways. Virtually all of us justify that trust.

The concept of land being cleared "up to .243" or whatever is simply nonsense. If you are shooting safely with a backstop then you will be safe with any centre fire. If you are shooting at the horizon then it makes little difference whether someone a couple of miles away receives a 100 grain or 200 grain projectile through their kitchen window. Safety resides with the FAC holder and when a certificate is granted they are being trusted in many ways. Virtually all of us justify that trust.

I totally agree, this new permission is quite large, there are fields I would use a .243 on and some I would not as I don't consider it to be safe with out a fox box or high seat.

We make those decisions with every shoot we take, safety is paramount, so why do the police need to try and control everything we do.

Lawfully authority and good reason should be good enough.