Unusual Tripple

6.5x55SE

Opening the door this morning I was disappointed to see frost with hardly any wind to late to change plans to go Deer Stalking i stuck to my original thoughts to flight the local flooded river oh well the Dog's would get a run if nothing else.

Reaching the river bank my heart sank as it was bank to bank so I chose to stand in a gap in a hedgerow close to a pit where over the years I've shot many Geese and Duck.Behind me is a large area of pit's where I could hear most of the Duck which is usual when the river is so high in flood.Teal behind me was again really getting me frustrated as the buzzed about everywhere two woodcock caught me knapping a bunch of Duck not heard or seen till right above made me curse even more. Finally a single made was seen low coming on course for a shot sure enough my single shot folded the Drake instead of hundreds and hundreds of Duck jumping to my shot only 80-100 which apart from five went well left onto the pit's.

Four Widgeon with a Teal came for my gap straight away I knew which was going to be my target !!!! The Teal was going to get it first for the frustration his mates had given again. My shot struck the Teal bang on as the Widgeon lifted my next two shot's folded two Widgeon which along with the Teal fell behind on next to the pit which had high sheep netting. Checking no more Duck had been disturbed i got over the fence lifted the fence where badger's/Fox's had a run to let my Dog's through. One dog retrieved the Teal the other a Widgeon sitting the older dog I sent the younger dog as I bent to take my Widgeon it turned into a cracking Drake Gadwall so I had Drake Teal Drake Gadwall and Hen Widgeon for a triple from a bunch of five Duck.

Staying the side I was I got my gun reloaded just in time to miss two stupid low Mallard both shot's then a single Mallard thinking I'm sure i put shot in these cartridges last night surely I caught seven Duck about to top the hedge Bang gobsmacked I watched as not one but four of the seven fell two dead two slanted into the pit but as good as dead as they hit the water both Dog's had a very cold swim retrieving a Gadwall each as I stayed dry picking the other two.

On that note I decided to sleeve the gun and head home.Letting the Dog's stretch their leg's as i walked back to the truck within 80 yrds of my truck a honking of Canada from the river made me turn to see 12 Geese low heading my way fumbling around like a novice who had never shot a Goose i managed to load two cartridges blot a head bang Goose fold's same with second shot followed by two huge splashes as they hit the water i watched both Dog's at first go for one Goose then the older dog turn for the other as they came through the reed's both carrying a Canada i smiled thinking what a jammy so and so I'd been.

Mind you I was not so jammy when i let two wet lab's into the house my Wife had just cleaned !!!!!!! Lighting a fire making Tea and a fried breakfast did stop the ear bashing just

Edited by 6.5x55SE

i am not a wildfowler but sounds like you had a superb morning, just goes to show you can never predict how things may turn out, if the wind would have been on you would have been out stalking which is great anyway. however mornings like that dont come round often i would guess and a memory like that would be worth 3 stalks. great read and atb.

7diaw

Really good read and a fantastic flight - the only triples I've ever had have always of the same species, I bet most of us will shoot a lifetime without replicating your feat. You've inspired me, I had the car loaded and the alarm set but when it went off at 05:30 this morning I couldn't bring myself to get up - that's when I know I'm really tired, there isn't usually much that'll keep me off the marsh! This season with a 6 month old and very inconsistent flights on duck due to all the water, I've struggled on those morning flights i so love.

Tomorrow is another day, so having enjoyed your post, the alarm is reset and I will be there.

As you say Boyd , an unusual triple and well deserved , as they say , you have to be in it to win it , and it hard enough when you do go and nigh on impossible when you don't go .

I have had two unusual triples lately , but with different results to yours , twice since Christmas I have been three times on the trot without firing a shot and the only reason I had to clean my gun was a couple of times I went in the rain , normally this time of the year that would be unheard of .

Tonight I went in what was the coldest night up to now , the wind got up to near gale force and the rain turned to snow on the way home , I began to wonder if I was losing the plot sitting there in the dark with the cold rain hitting you on the back of your head , but when I knocked a Widgeon down with the only two shots I had the world became a much better place to be in , the dog done a nice retrieve and although I was wet and cold this one duck made it all worth while . roll on tomorrow .

Guttersnipe don't lose heart mate. Over the years i have had some very good flights on the Foreshore no wind bright sunshine slack tide's Good luck on future flights.

John you are correct we do have to be in it to win it. I took Conor tonight as he is away for the weekend. No snow here just more rain with a Cold wind. We stood stuck near bushes behind the river bank due to Canada's across the river would see us if we walked to my anticipated flight spot. Not expecting many Duck due to high flood the Canada's was my plan !!!! Four Greylag appeared from nowhere three of which fell Conor getting one. Over the bank we moved due to the light to where i wanted to be. Three Widgeon came on set wing's I thought Conor had got all three for one Shot but as two hit the water the third he got climbing away . five minutes passed then Duck was everywhere Conor shot 4 more I had 3 Widgeon 2 Gadwall the shooting finally jumped the Canada's 2 fell in front my third shot clicked on a empty chamber i turned just in time to see a slanting Canada fold lovely to Conor's second shot i told him well done for shooting the slanting Goose.

Another successful flight with a very heavy walk that nobody can take from us.Hopefully Conor will get another chance after school next week for his first Gadwall to add to another remarkable season of first's for him.