Changing habits.

JDog

Of late with unseasonably warm temperatures pigeons round here have not been coming off the roost until 8:30 ish and not starting to feed until after 9.

This morning after snow flurries yesterday and overnight temperatures down to -3 large flocks on two farms were down and feeding hard by 7:45.

The year with regards to pigeons here has not changed........just so few about, its difficult to find out what they are doing........the thing that has not changed is the flocking together of the rooks ....there are thousands of the damn things...and always in the same area year after year....and just a few pigeons mixed in....(you really have to look for them)

I have been shooting pigeon for over 30years and this winter must be the most frustrating of all,here in the north west the weather has been mild and wet,early on the pigeons in decent numbers were feeding on the acorns which is normal then they disappeared early November,local shooters saying to much food about very little signs of pigeons about ,I have access to over 100 acres of osr on a few farms and if I can find pigeon down on the rape iam lucky ive set up once this winter,i just keep driving around the perms keeping the farmers happy ,over the last few weeks ive been shooting a few pigeon on brussell sprouts tops which in normal years I only shoot them in real hard weather frost and snow covering the rape but this winter they preferring sprout tops to rape , but I don't think the pigeon are in the area in the numbers they usually are, this time last winter I was shooting30, 50,60 100 bird days regular on the rape on the same farms ,just today we had our first signs of snow and frost lets hope it brings the pigeon .

Had my first real drive around my permission yesterday to generally see whats what and where etc.. crops etc.. starting to see pigeon on a few rape field s not in massive numbers but in groups of 100 ish which looks better than the huge flocks we had on acorns! ! So may be a few shootable fields after the game season , if they hang around that is !!!