Wife - eye dominance + shoulder injury...disaster?

marnold

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I tried a patch, glasses, a dot, shooting left handed. No good. Now I shoot right handed, both eyes open and hit 75-80%. I had help. A kind coach suggested this: before calling a bird do a try-mount. Ensuring centre bead and muzzle bead line up. Dismount gun. Keep muzzles below line of birds and out of sight picture. Call bird. Focus on bird and let brain do its business arranging collision between shot and clay. The try mount ensures next (real) mount will be right and keeping the muzzles out of picture until you're on the bird and about to kill it means your eyes don't get drawn to muzzle or beads and stay on bird and brain makes sure it all happens at right time. If your eye comes off the bird and on to the head you will miss. The only exception to this routine is straight up going away birds when I close my left eye and "rifle" them. It only goes wrong when I try too hard and try to over rule brain instead of relaxing and just letting it all happen. Hope this helps. Give it a try.

Shooting when small is like going to the gym, its going to hurt at first but once you learn to mount the gun proper then it should get better.

Other options are a semi auto gun with 21g loads have virtually no recoil and thats what i shoot alot of. I have given up on large pads as i could not feel where the gun was and led to bad mount and causing more pain as the gun was in the wrong place so went over to a more cusioned recoil pad on the gun and a thin pad in the vest. I now can shoot 100 sporting with a sxs and dont have too much pain after.

WHY suffer any pain at all ?