dash cams

viking

i bought a dash cam for my dad a couple of weeks ago, granted it was only £50 from halfords but the video quality was shocking, and watching the footage back on my laptop and trying to freeze frame to take the number down of a passing car was poor to say the least, couldnt even make the reg plate out, obviously more money must be spent but any of you guys have one you would recomend, its quite important for him to be able to make out the reg of any oncoming vehicle,

thanks.

lee

"its quite important for him to be able to make out the reg of any oncoming vehicle"I have got to ask why?

Because he is a 74 year old ex HGV and car driving instructor and loves moaning and complaining about people's driving and there ignorance (his words not mine) and he comes across people who force there way through gaps they shouldn't or make him stop when he shouldn't have to. Clipping his wing mirror. And maybe if someone went down the side of his car and carried on driving. Then you would need to be able to read the reg of said offending vehicle.

Google a web site called techmoan, he does a lot of reviews of dash cams amongst other things. I bought a mini0806 of amazon for about £70 after watching the review of it. Good camera for the money. There are a number of different options for this camera including do you want gps tracking and a separate slot for more storage via a memory card.The less options you choose the cheaper the camera.

Google a web site called techmoan, he does a lot of reviews of dash cams amongst other things.

This; his reviews are on the "TechMoan" channel on YouTube.

For anyone considering the purchase of a dashcam, this is a good place to start.

Regards,

Mark.

I bought a cheap one from ebay and it diddnt last very long. By the sounds of it you have only got a 720p resolution which seem to be on their cheaper models when realy you wouldnt want anything less than a 1080p full HD. I have just bought one from halfords on offer at £149.99 full HD with gps tagging. Ive viewed the footage so far and it is very clear. you can read numberplates with ease. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

so my dad ended up taking the nextbase 202 back and getting the 402, when reviewing the driving back it mostly looked ok, but when pausing on an oncoming car i could not make the reg plate out, even on the disc it came with it gives about 20 pictures of the car at different stages, i paused every one and they were all blury, and when i zoomed in it was like a photo that had been taken with a potato, pixelated instantly, out of 10 random cars i tried to read the on coming reg i could make out 2, it seems like it could do with a zoom on it to focus more in a particular place, the 202 had a zoom, not impressed at all

Just bought one of tinternet from a company in china! Cost £12 delivered and the quality of image and sound are fine! I can read plates not a problem. Got a nifty feature when its parked, if somebody bumps the car it automatically starts to record a 20 second clip. The online reviews seemed ok too. The one I did have was terrible. You could make out the car etc, but there was no chance of reading plates, even stationary. For £12 you couldn't go wrong.

Here I the footage from mine

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yT94t3JpaeU

Edited by Lord Geordie