Long walk with a fine bag.

sako751sg

Whole day oot starting at half nineish and hame just before six.
Great day with not reaching above zero and -5 by the time we got back.
Covered around 1000 acres all in and very hard going but couldnt have asked for more.
Started with the pheasants but with being back to work ive ran behind with the feeders and quite a few were empty but still plenty birds with big numbers of hens too which is great to see.Also disturbed a buzzard from its dinner which it left on a post.
Once again pigeon numbers are immense and the 3 we dropped were either at feeders are had been at going by the clean wheat in their crops.
Next was to the woodcock but although we rose 3 Mac only got a chap at one and although wobbled it held going.Checked the ponds also but most are solid.Was walking the ditch back to the Jeep when 2 snipe got up and i gave one both barrels and after a flight of around 100 yards he dropped stone dead in the heather.Just turned round to Mac when he pointed his hand and there was a buzzard straight off the wires,and dived straight onto where the snipe had dropped,so i started legging it over but when the dugs got within 20m it took flight and after looking for ages we presumed the buzzard had went away with it.
Was heading hame but took a detour to a place we used to shoot regular but havent done for a while in the hope of a duck or goose.Arrived just before dark with greylags pouring in but high and wide so got set for a duck.Plenty came off/went in,but only one pair came over pretty high but Mac dropped the first with his shot and i dropped the second with mine which was a good moment.
Was delighted with that but even more so when a snap shot at a woodcock that had flighted from the woods resulted in Jake retrieving in very heavy cover.
Great day to be oot and a top bag of 9 pheasant,3 pigeons,2 mallard and 1 woodcock.

006_zpsekcosjsu.jpg

007_zpsbtiysxzw.jpg

009_zpswtwy4iby.jpg

011_zpsy675ixhr.jpg

012_zpsnfr72tww.jpg

017_zpskuylhzdh.jpg

022_zpsdgsh6s8m.jpg

020_zps6aiksrly.jpg

026_zpscumuiorg.jpg

027_zpsblkwzcjz.jpg

028_zpsb2zu7lz6.jpg

029_zpsc2jmg3gq.jpg

031_zpsx9ti8psc.jpg

032_zpshkxbz1kf.jpg

039_zpsicngxtkv.jpg

037_zpsmnaku0qs.jpg

Edited by sako751sg

Great photos sako.

The bullie, the spaniel and woodcock and your lad are brilliant.

U.

Cheers UD.

Very lucky to have some great ground.

Im lucky to get a shot with the speed the wee fella shoots and think i only had 2 pheasants out of the 9.

as U said great pics,the boy is not a boy anymore

That looks like a great day.

Was for sure,and better witha wee bit wintry weather.

Fantastic

Cheers Fella.

Proper day out, thanks for reporting, great looking area for a walk round.

Cheers Konnie.Great area for sure.

A fine report of a fine day out.

Good to see the Grey partridge and the Bullfinch and all of those pigeons on the stubble.

I am uncertain as to what the two long things are amongst the carcase on the fence post. They look like rat's tails.

Ta JDog.

First decent covey i have seen this season and would have been around 10 altogether.Also have another 2 pairs where we were shooting the pheasants but never pull the trigger on them as numbers must be critical up here imo.

Have never ever seen the pigeon numbers that we have up here the now and clouds of them on most stubble.

Very lucky to have good numbers of bullies still and they are a personal favourite.This one was pulling old thistles and stayed with us for a good while.Also a goldcrest that followed us for around 100m which seems to be a trait of theirs as thats the 3rd time its happened.

Pretty sure they were field mice going by the skin that was left on them.Thought he would have taken them with him but payback when the other took the snipe,lol.

What a fantastic day, great photographs, love the bullfinch and would have loved a pic of the goldcrest, well done lads

Cheers fella.

I took loads of pics of both but the setting on the camera had changed and they were a blur but hard to see till i downloaded the pics and was gutted.The goldcrest was less than 5m away and the bully around 10m and would both have made cracking pics but only ended up with only a half decent one of the bully.

Brilliant day by all accounts , just a few pigeons to wet your appetite . Wonderful report.

Cheers PC.

Could have a decent bag in a wee wood on this ground but enjoy a walk too much.

If i get a day off work through the week might set up a couple of sitties and try for a few.