best calibre for hunting .177 or .22

gunboi

Accuracy is more important than calibre, a hole of any size in the right place kills just the same , it takes a little more practice to shoot .22 accurately thyougth which is why 177 is popular these days , I myself prefer 177

Edited by fenboy

Accuracy is more important than calibre, a hole of any size in the right place kills just the same , it takes a little more practice to shoot .22 accurately thyougth which is why 177 is popular these days , I myself prefer 177

On the flip side if you can hit It the .22 will offer a bit more 'knock down' power. That said if you hit it in the kill zone it'll be dead anyway....

So does a .25 have more "knockdown power"?

What is best for not knocking down stuff?

Does it not matter if they have all the same energy figure?

Lol

Larger (heavier) calibres retain more energy down range so even even if they leave the muzzle at the same energy, the larger calibre pellet will have more energy at 30 yards - not much more, but there is a difference. It's something to do with air resistance coefficients, momentum and other physicsy things.

Edit: having said that, I use .177 as I prefer the trajectory and extra 5-7 yards that allows over .22. I don't shoot in barns or do much in the way of close range rat shooting so each have their uses.

Edited by FalconFN

Are we sure of that!

I mean, we have a smaller pellet frontal area wise than the larger but the weight of the larger is only a tiny amount more than the lesser that in which is traveling faster than the larger.

Could it not be the larger is actually going to slow down faster than the lesser?

What are the average coefficients betwixt 22&177?

Are we sure of that!

I mean, we have a smaller pellet frontal area wise than the larger but the weight of the larger is only a tiny amount more than the lesser that in which is traveling faster than the larger.

Could it not be the larger is actually going to slow down faster than the lesser?

I am also confused as surely to retain energy something also has to retain speed and given at 12ft / lb the smaller calibre is going around 200 fps more I would have though it may retain more energy , it also has a smaller surface area which should also slow it less than the larger 22

Think of air as water , which would travel through the water fastest propelled by the same power, small frontal area , or larger frontal area?

Which would slow down the fastest ?

In the water is a jelly, they both impact the jelly at exactly the same distance from point of launch.

Which would penetrate the jelly furthest? Faster Small frontal area, slower larger frontal area.?

Change the jelly for a plank.

Which would transfer the most energy to the plank ? (so many variables now available). projectile material , etc etc.

there has been thousands of debates on this but honestly you get 5 yards extra trajectory out of a 177 and a 22 kills better with a shot just off the brain or heart. .20 works pretty good I used one for a fair while .25 is a better killer than .22 if trajectory aint an issue

just consider you will do best with just one airgun and learning to use it well. learn your trajectory and ranges and how to allow for wind then go hunting

oh don't go 177 at FAC levels their is no real point

Are we sure of that!

Yes, it is definitely true although may not have the reason why quite correct.

So does a .25 have more "knockdown power"?

What is best for not knocking down stuff?

Does it not matter if they have all the same energy figure?

Lol

Would you rather me swing a claw hammer or a sledge hammer at the same speed? Bit extreme, as i pointed out if it hits the kill zone its dead anyway :L my opinion(some may disagree) if you have a .177 shooting 700fps and a .22 at 700fps the .22 will do more damage. The .22 also hits the target and dumps all the energy so the pellet will mushroom out and cause more damage. The .177 will not mushroom as much due to the smaller caliber there for not doing as much damage. If I were to get another air rifle it WOULD be a .177 due to the slightly longer range and a headshot between eyes and ears is a killshot with what ever you hit it with wether its .177, .20, .22 or a .25. Again just my opinion :)

Would you rather me swing a claw hammer or a sledge hammer at the same speed? Bit extreme, as i pointed out if it hits the kill zone its dead anyway :L my opinion(some may disagree) if you have a .177 shooting 700fps and a .22 at 700fps the .22 will do more damage. The .22 also hits the target and dumps all the energy so the pellet will mushroom out and cause more damage. The .177 will not mushroom as much due to the smaller caliber there for not doing as much damage. If I were to get another air rifle it WOULD be a .177 due to the slightly longer range and a headshot between eyes and ears is a killshot with what ever you hit it with wether its .177, .20, .22 or a .25. Again just my opinion :)

Yes but if the rifles are putting out the same ft / lb the two pellets will not be going at the same speed so its not quite that cut and dried .

As said above this has been argued for years , my belief is that people should be more concerned with putting the pellet in the right place rather than hoping a bigger one will cause enough damage in the wrong one.

Yes but if the rifles are putting out the same ft / lb the two pellets will not be going at the same speed so its not quite that cut and dried .

As said above this has been argued for years , my belief is that people should be more concerned with putting the pellet in the right place rather than hoping a bigger one will cause enough damage in the wrong one.

Agreed :)

Exactly right.

The down range energy thing is a factor to take into account, but that small extra energy is neither here nor there and if the pellet is in the right place. But for the record, the energy difference is due to the exponential increase in air resistance as speed increases, in the same way a car can go 120 mph with, say,120 bhp, but for it to punch a bigger hole in the air and go 200 mph it would need vastly more than 200 bhp.

At sub 12 ft lbs the 177, zero at 25 yards and you are good till mid 30s from memory.

At FAC its the velocity really that makes things nice and flat, 20 is a lovely caliber running at about 18/20 ft lbs, so sub sonic. However placement is key as always with the limited power that you have at your disposal.

A