best calibre for hunting .177 or .22

gunboi

Depends on personal preference, quarry and circumstance

For instance, from personal experience shooting rats with 22 sub 12 springer off hand, I have had better success (less runners) that my shooting buddy who has precharged 177.

We found that the 177 would not stop the rats in some circumstances and sometimes go through the rat. whereas the 22 (even when not the perfect shot placement) would cause enough damage to stop the rat within a few feet.

This is of course one example... if we were rested and the shot was the perfect head shot then either caliber would work as good as the other.

Experience, shot placement, field craft and personal preference will all play a part.

The age old argument!

Yes but if the rifles are putting out the same ft / lb the two pellets will not be going at the same speed so its not quite that cut and dried .

As said above this has been argued for years , my belief is that people should be more concerned with putting the pellet in the right place rather than hoping a bigger one will cause enough damage in the wrong one.

+1

It's not point having stopping power if you can't shoot it straight.

I prefer .177 as I found it easier to learn with and just stuck with it. Waited until I could group 5 shots in a 50p coin sized circle (which didn't take long) before I went after live quarry, simples.

Perfect for me was a PCP in .177 with a decent shot count per fill and multi shot to save faffing about

Edited by Mentalmac

The trouble with shooting at live things is that they sometimes move...pain init??

That means that your well positioned head shot may not be so well positioned when it arrives at its destination.

Fidgety little blighters these air rifle quarry are.

For me the preferred caliber is .22 but could be tempted by a .20, in sub 12ftlb, if I could find a 77/97 locally???

Note I say preferred not best, why argue? There is only preference .

I use a Titan .177 with heavy pellets. I have had no issues with shooting it! Infact yesterday afternoon took out 2 crows and a magpie in under 2 minutes with it. Also out a while back with Les off here on rabbits and every rabbit dropped to a perfect head shot. 7 iirc in a little over an hour :good: I also have a .22 Career carbine that I like to use too. But durin the day its always the Titan :yes:

• 1 month later...

Using the same brand of pellets in both .177 & .22 at 50 yards or meters the.22 retains around half a foot pound more energy. A lot less difference than I first thought.

So in sub 12 ft lb your better off with .177 for general shooting. Close range .22 has better stopping power and body heart lung shots can be taken with ease. If in FAC .25 would be my choice after watching the Americans shooting small game with them.

The .20 that was heralded as shoots flat like .177 hits like .22 isn't quite right, it does shoot flat but runs out of power and then drops like a .22 limiting its useful range.

If your only shooting to 40/45 yards it won't matter if you learn your holdunders and holdovers but at longer ranges the .22 is dropping fast. If your .177 needs 4 inches of holdover the .22 could need more than 12 inches add another five yards and an inch to .177 but another four inches to .22.

After watching loads of videos it seems no matter the caliber 1000 fps or a bit less seems to be the max for stable pellets and accuracy.

Edited by figgy

.177 using 11 grain Jsb Exacts dropped 7 pigeons and a bunny tonight, even in this blasted wind.

The pigeons could have been ten yard shots roosting in a barn and the rabbit ran over on way to or from perm.

More info needed on your nights hunt :good: