Poodle. Questions

TONY R

I have been wanting to ask this question a long time. SO HERE GOES..

Anybody use one as a water retriever???

I have seen the bigger standard poodles swim and they look the part, and as a kid my sister had a miniture that we used to take out with the dogs fereting and that poodle had a fair nose on it and marked like a good un.

I am not considering one or anything of the like just thought i would ask and see what others thoughts were on this breed, which was allegedly a water retriever back in france

I would imagine if you kept the coat lamb cut, short and even with a good pair of clippers with a depth comb it would not be a problem expecially as they don't moult. Clipping every six to eight weeks. Quick brush daily job done.

No need to do the original lion cut as that predisposes them to skin cancer on the exposed skin.

The miniture we had when i was a kid, was cut leaving a nice covering of wool on him cut shorter tound his feet, he was combed with an old alloy horse main and tail comb never had any issues with the coat. In fact some springers can be more trouble, my curent springer is a curly wooly monster :lol: and can be a pain with thistles and the like, i dont remember the poodle being any worse.

Intresting reading what you all have to say about poodles, one thing i did wonder about was suitable working lines, i can only guess most over here will be very much show bred this may effect their performance to some degree, or dont you think it will matter much as they are a bright dog and quite agile certainly in the standard ...large size anyway

I have just brought a standard poodle I hope to pick up with him!! He is 11 weeks old and is retrieving a dummy to hand with very little effort from me, they are very bright and great fun to train, his grand farther is cooper as in the video above.

I emailed the louters ( coopers owners ) there advice on the coat is to keep it about three quarters of an inch to one inch long when working. They have been great help and very willing to promote the breed in the UK as gun dogs, don't hesitate to contact them. they also have a very good and helpful web site , "redhunting poodles Louter creek "

let us know what you decide to do

Just do it