Very testing pigeons.

JDog

For three weeks now there has been little or no wind here in the Wolds and I have had to put off roosting sessions until the wind picked up. This afternoon at 3:15 the wind got to 20mph and I flew out of the door to a wood three miles away to see what I could do.

There were birds in already but they soon scarpered and not much came in at all until 4:00. Golly it was cold and with pigeons starting to come in from in front and both sides the last place my hands needed to be was in my pocket but it was too cold to have my gun at the ready position and in my pocket my hands went.

The wood is a deciduous one with very mature and over mature ash and sycamore. The tree tops would have been 20m to 25m high and the pigeons were skimming in like swallows feeding off the surface of a pond in summer. They were very fast and testing and with the handicap of white finger I was slow to get going. In a flight lasting 45 minutes I shot and picked twelve pigeons all stuffed with rape. I was lucky to get that many.

The dogs have been fed but it is too soon to clean my gun as my fingers are still numb so I thought I would put up this post whilst sitting in front of the log burner thawing out.

you are a hard man mr JD and thats fer sure.............ive been feeding the burner all day...like the stokers at the Titanic's boiler just before they hit a hard patch

how the heck did you get white finger...thought only chainsaw boys and road workers got that ?

you are a hard man mr JD and thats fer sure.............ive been feeding the burner all day...like the stokers at the Titanic's boiler just before they hit a hard patch

how the heck did you get white finger...thought only chainsaw boys and road workers got that ?

My fingers have been vibrating since I was an early teenager.