What to do?

Scully

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contacted my shooting organisation over a week ago regarding any advice they could offer to resolve this situation and haven't had a response, so have just emailed them again to inform them how disappointed I am and that I'll be contacting the CA. Disappointed.

And are you surprised?

I am not unfortunately..................................

Now the Game season is over , many guns require servicing /repairs.

What is the situation about a Gunsmith receiving a gun for repair off an unlicensed owner , repairing said gun and returning it to the unlicensed owner??????

" Oh you will be alright, we have your details, cashed your cheque, but we are a little ( four months?) behind."

There is a simple fix and thats a central office rather than multiples doing XYZ in YZX format.Application goes into central office,all criminal records ect are checked & medical records checked.FEO only goes out once this is cleared for formal interview.Report is sent back to central and grant is either granted or declined.

To many times we here on here where an FEO has visited someone in week one and gave them an impression that grant will be served when checks havent even started.

Every force should be doing the application process no different from any other force and this evedently is not the case.We will never see a change for the better until they sort themselve out.The general public have no idea of the mess the licencing authorities are in.However we see it first hand and there is plenty of evidence on this forum alone.I surrendered my licences this year and find my authorities performance appauling.My sons FAC and SGL came in the wrong name,my renewal had guns on i didnt own.On one visit to my local office to sort some paperwork out (again there fault) i was refered to as old man.

Im pleased im out of it but fear for those who still shoot or those who want to get into the sport.

Before Christmas I wrote to the PCC in Essex regarding the long renewal delays (16 weeks quoted). I made a point of highlighting the limitations imposed on Section 7 temp certs such as the inability to borrow a gun or purchase a replacement. I suggested this was like sending my driving licence in for an address change and being issued with a temporary one which allowed me to drive only the car currently registered to me.

Last week I received a reply from Essex Police. The complaint had been passed to them as it was an operational matter. Their reply just blamed workload on the delays and said if I wanted to purchase a gun I should place a deposit on one at the RFD and ask him to email the licensing office so they could "possibly" expedite my renewal - just creating work for the RFD with no guarantee of a successful outcome.

I am left thinking my complaint was a waste of time.

Before Christmas I wrote to the PCC in Essex regarding the long renewal delays (16 weeks quoted). I made a point of highlighting the limitations imposed on Section 7 temp certs such as the inability to borrow a gun or purchase a replacement. I suggested this was like sending my driving licence in for an address change and being issued with a temporary one which allowed me to drive only the car currently registered to me.

Last week I received a reply from Essex Police. The complaint had been passed to them as it was an operational matter. Their reply just blamed workload on the delays and said if I wanted to purchase a gun I should place a deposit on one at the RFD and ask him to email the licensing office so they could "possibly" expedite my renewal - just creating work for the RFD with no guarantee of a successful outcome.

I am left thinking my complaint was a waste of time.

But at least you took the time to do something about it by contacting the relevant people. If everyone affected did likewise it would be a start.

Length of times taken to grant, vary and renew must be amongst the most commonest gripes on PW, and have been for as long as I can recall. If you're affected then contact your licensing authority, if there's no joy then contact your organisation, if still no joy then...well, you need to decide for yourself what to do.

I expect results from my shooting organisation, and if they're not forthcoming then I'll take my money elsewhere or simply keep it and do without representation.

We need to stand up for ourselves and become a pain in the backside with any service which doesn't meet reasonable expectations; six months isn't acceptable.

The system is unnecessarily complicated and its method of application inconsistent across the country.

We get what we deserve.

NGO finally got in touch, with an apology for the delay as there has been a change over in staff. New bloke was very helpful, but regards an organised and effective crusade with a view to doing something about the length of delays there isn't a lot that can be done without shooters complaining through official lines and and by collecting data of all communications, dates and responses and insisting their organisations act upon this info'. We'll see.

Now on to the next problem. I've heard that soon the application forms are going to be sent out 12 weeks in advance of cert expiry date. If the applicant hasn't got them back in by 8 weeks prior to the expiry date then the applicant will be told that they have no certificate and that they are going to lodge any weapons into an RFD at the applicants cost for however long it takes to process the application. Now the question They are going to financially inconvenience the applicant but if the application is in before the 8 week deadline that they are going to impose and they don't get to renew the cert by due date, are they going to compensate applicants for loss of use / inconvenience. Although it may be sensible to get the application in early where is it written down in any statute that they can do this sort of thing. or is it another make it up as you go along thing?

Have you asked your shooting organisation? Where did you hear this from?

If HO guidelines suggest a S7 is sent out after 8 weeks to applicants who have applied in the allotted time and still don't have new tickets I would suggest licensing can hardly expect applicants to lodge their firearms with an RFD.

The entire point of this exercise is to find out why there is a delay and what can be done about it.

Perhaps if our shooting organisations made it known to the press that many license holders are allowed to keep expanding ammunition at home without the proper authorisation and continue to use it with the relevant firearm without being able to show the proper authorisation, something may get done. It would certainly get the entire issue out into the public domain, and perhaps that is what is needed.

Further to my post number 31.

How would you feel if your RFD then charged you storage charges???

What then happens if your RFD then has his licences expire?

This situation is now getting ludicrous.

Could it be that the Constabularies are actually resenting interference by Civilian Commissioners which if I recall was foisted upon them?

So the FEO's are on a deliberate go slow?

Further to my post number 31.

How would you feel if your RFD then charged you storage charges???

What then happens if your RFD then has his licences expire? This did happen with Surrey guns. They just shut the door and disappeared. I don't know how people got their stuff back. Last thing I heard was that plod was looking in to it. a bit like a hole in the ground.

This situation is now getting ludicrous.

Could it be that the Constabularies are actually resenting interference by Civilian Commissioners which if I recall was foisted upon them?

So the FEO's are on a deliberate go slow? And the actions of other external bodies.

Scully did you get my PM?

Edited by fortune

well 16 weeks gone still no ticket rang 3 times for section 7 not received said i need one in paper for proof as a new syndicate i have joined need to se it await with baited breath durham police urrrrrrrrrrr

If your application was within the allotted time, and your current one has now expired, they have no choice but to issue a S7. Make a formal complaint citing HO guidance as your reason.

Edited by Scully

• 1 month later...