Trip to the Solway

oxfordfowler

Well everything is packed (I hope) - Brother will be around at about 6 tomorrow morning.

Travelling up to the Solway for our annual week wildfowling - been going now for 40 years (only missed a couple - Married/Kids).

Will be meeting up with little brother who will be driving up from Devon and picking Dad up from Cheltenham on the way.

Weather is looking good - wet and windy.

Anyone else up next week?.

Oxfordfowler, I and best bud was up there for our annual jaunt on the 14th, 15th and am of the 16th. We finished up with geese in the bag but there was so much flood water around that numbers were limited. That was until it froze up on the Thursday and Friday night, wow..... Did that make a difference, I was walking the dog at 2045 hrs on the last night after tea and could hear skein after skein coming back to the marsh. It promised to be a good flight however we didn't get a shot on the last morning as they were far too high. Never mind, when you plan these trips months in advance you can't plan for the weather and after all, that is wildfowling.

I have a friend up there that states there are good numbers using the marsh and fresh birds arriving daily.

Good luck and I hope you are fortunate to bring down a bird or two.

Well we finished the week with 30 Pinks, 2 Widgeon and 4 Teal.

I have put a couple of short videos in the sporting video section for anyone who is interested. Would have taken more but that was the only morning that it did not rain and I felt I could use the Ipad.

When Gertrude arrived we lost the electric for several hours and had numerous blocked/flooded roads.