springer pup, what do I do now

islandgun

Gus our ESS is 5 months old and i suspect that Ive wrongly let him range/run freely on our daily walks, believing that he should be treated as a pup and allowed to explore, exercise and build muscles.

He now runs about mad, he comes back to the whistle but hes becoming less inclined to do so, as the only reward is curtailment of his freedom,

Since he was very young he has retrieved without bidding any item he could find, I have recently taken a throwing dummy on our walks to try to interest him in that but he is more interested in the wider world and usually drops the dummy and investigates something else,

what have others done with their pups ?

I have the Joe Irving book (second copy as i misplaced the first) and on page 44 he says "never let a dog run riot on his own or in the company of other dogs" but fails to give an alternative !

cheers IG :unhappy:

At that age in a dog that's a pet as well as a potential working dog I just like a really good solid recall, try not to let them range when out on a walk and have 'sit' in place. If the dog's mature enough to take it I might do a bit of sit and stay. :)

Very few retrieves and those few in a fairly small area so it's more likely pup will bring it back.

Thanks bigbird great advice, the last couple of days ive been taking him for short walks in a 2 acre paddok next door, I think the restricted area is helping, today he recalled readily when whistled and received a lot of praise. The walks I have been taking him on in the past are very open with too many temptations to wander.

recall praise recall praise recall praise........ :yes:

Gus our ESS is 5 months old and i suspect that Ive wrongly let him range/run freely on our daily walks, believing that he should be treated as a pup and allowed to explore, exercise and build muscles.

He now runs about mad, he comes back to the whistle but hes becoming less inclined to do so, as the only reward is curtailment of his freedom,

Since he was very young he has retrieved without bidding any item he could find, I have recently taken a throwing dummy on our walks to try to interest him in that but he is more interested in the wider world and usually drops the dummy and investigates something else,

what have others done with their pups ?

I have the Joe Irving book (second copy as i misplaced the first) and on page 44 he says "never let a dog run riot on his own or in the company of other dogs" but fails to give an alternative !

cheers IG :unhappy:

I would take bigbird advise that will work sweet and simple, I can see were felly is coming from but if you try walking the other way the dog will soon turn this into a game of chase, he will run up to you around you and want you to chase him, don't start that game with him it will turn into a nightmare, I've trained many dogs for clients over the years and bigbird is the way to go keep it simple. Edited by E.w.

I would take bigbird advise that will work sweet and simple, I can see were felly is coming from but if you try walking the other way the dog will soon turn this into a game of chase, he will run up to you around you and want you to chase him, don't start that game with him it will turn into a nightmare, I've trained many dogs for clients over the years and bigbird is the way to go keep it simple.

It worked for me.No game of chase ensued.

One thing I did with mine at that age is vary the direction of the walk.

If they go up ahead,turn round and walk in the opposite way.

Make them concentrate on where you are.

100% correct. Stop being predictable, make the dog watch you. Stop taking it for walks, take it out to be trained.

I think it's incredibly difficult to take a spaniel for a walk, young dogs in particular only learn to hunt for themselves and that the big wide world is more exciting than you.

Have a designated area he can free run in as you have said, be it a field, a beach, wherever as long as it is always the same place, and give him a "go play" command so he knows all he is expected to do is recall.

When not free running use the time out in different places to bond and train and if not doing something with him keep him on a lead, he won't need miles of exercise if his mind is tired.

This is an interesting thread , I also have an Ess that's 6 months now and he's a bit of a handful out for a walk too.Not to worried yet as he's young still. When free he runs on ahead back and fore in the long grass or heather looking for anything with a pulse! He stops every 20-40 meters,stops and looks round for me,he'll recall quite well and the whistle gets his attention immediately. He's a nightmare on the lead still though but hopefully will get better soon.

20-40 metres is too far, only saying that because if he's ranging that far now you'll needs shares in Nike when he's on game! :)

I would suggest 10-15 metres at the most before you recall and praise/treat/ be more exciting than anything else out there.

For me 10 - 15 metres for a 6 month old pup is still too far.

The other thing is which direction he's going, if it's out and back rather than left and right he's not covering the ground on his beat, or more precisely the ground which will produce game for your gun when he's older.

It all depends on the standard to want to end up with but if you want a decent dog to shoot over don't engrain bad habits at this age thinking you'll sort it later.... you won't.

• 2 weeks later...

to help pups get used to Quartering if they head out to the right give the command and turn left 45 degrees, then as the catch you up and pass to the left 10 meters or so command againa nd turn right. you will soon have a pup watching your every move. if it happens one day there is a tree near by and pup has roamed a bit far give the recall and hide! big praise if they find you ..

My 13 week old pup will sit on command most times which is fine and will sit and stay before feeding now every time, some times just for a second or two maybe upto 30 seconds. just walking the garden my pup will quater and if she gets more than 6/7 meters in front i try to just stop her not recall . As someone else said every dog is different .

To get my pup to sit and stay in front of a bowl of food took around 2 weeks, the first few time i never thought i was going to achive it but there is no time limit if it took 6 months it did thats how she is.

Good luck and enjoy, it is difficult to think like a dog!!