William Powell Linhope

Milo

Was looking at that the other day. With a straight hand stock it might well be a good answer to future proofing a proper gun. I personally hate a semi pistol grip on a side by side. 3" steel proof and with a Teague option would make it very versatile and 7 3/4lb would allow you to put anything through it without wincing.

I believe many of the William Powell s/s are made by Arrietta (and none the worse for that). At 7 3/4 lbs, its hardly a 'typical' s/s - and whilst it may be correct that it will handle most loads, it won't give the typical s/s advantages of fast handling and ease of carrying.

If a 7 3/4 lb 'heavy load' gun is what you are after, it may well be OK. However, as a general purpose s/s, you may be disappointed.

Typically - a 'standard' s/s at sensible cost is a 2nd hand AyA No 2 - weighing about 6 3/4 lbs. There is a huge choice 2nd hand

If you are after a pigeon gun, you might also look at an AyA Model 53, (or Model 56 if you can find one). These are (sort of) the 'pigeon versions' of the No 2 and No 1 respectively. A friend of mine has a Model 53 and its a fine gun.

Thanks, John. The 53 doesn't have the beefed up action frame and the 56 is nearly twice the price of the Linhope. Would be keen to find a second hand one but they seem to be rare.

Thanks, John. The 53 doesn't have the beefed up action frame and the 56 is nearly twice the price of the Linhope. Would be keen to find a second hand one but they seem to be rare.

I thought the 53 was 'beefed up'? It certainly has side clips. I have also looked for a 56 without success (and as you say, they are VERY expensive new). The only one I came across (some time ago) had a full pistol grip and single trigger, neither of which is really for me (and it was still expensive). Arrietta (which I think the Linhope may be) build a nice gun.

If somebody was importing these, or if somebody knows of someone who is, I am fancying this, I know not everyone's but I really like this and would suit my needs

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/product/rbl-12-sporting-clays-model-12ga/

I may well be wrong. but I think they had a stand at the game fair 2 or 3 years ago - which suggests they were looking to sell in the UK? May be worth e mailing them?

Thanks, John. I already have game guns. I am specifically looking for a "pigeon gun", of which the Linhope appears to be a decent facsimile. I just need to hear from anyone who has shot one.

Why do you want such a heavy gun? what will this achieve that a normal 12 wont?

I have an ariettia 803, which is not the same as this linhope, but I'm sure William Powell r made buy them. I can vouch for ariettia build quality. But u mite be cheaper looking for the equivalent ariettia model; this was my experience when recently shopping for a new / s hand sxs. As ariettia aren't as well know in UK there r some real bargins to be had compared against similar graded model from William Powell or Churchill (who also use ariettia I believe). Although to be fair; it mite be harder to find one if u want a specific pigeon weight model.

Ok so A quick check; nearest ariettia is called a 601 imperial trio, doesn't look as nice as ur linhope; granted but options r available fir engraving. gMK still Handel ariettia in the UK. Linhope looks nice tho. But at £8.5k it's a lot of money.

Thanks for the kind steer in both your replies. All comments noted and appreciated.

It appears GMK are no longer agents.

I know they aren't mandated as such on their website. but in November I spoke with GMK who told me they still can order ariettias. I didn't take it any further than to ask for a quote on a gun (they had a 2014 price list to hand) and left it at that. So u could well be right. On ariettias own website William Powell are down as UK suppliers.(?)

Why do you want such a heavy gun? what will this achieve that a normal 12 wont?

Don't normally respond to posts like this but, in case the answer is useful to PW members, I'll give it a go.

I want a pigeon gun on an H&H action rather than a Purdey/Beesley mechanism. The real things in good nick are very rare indeed and even more expensive so the best option to get my hands on one quickly is to look at Grulla, Arrieta or AYA. Why do I want one? Because I don't have one and I fancy it.

What will it achieve that my other guns won't? I haven't thought about it "achieving" anything other than being enjoyable to use.

Don't normally respond to posts like this but, in case the answer is useful to PW members, I'll give it a go.

I want a pigeon gun on an H&H action rather than a Purdey/Beesley mechanism. The real things in good nick are very rare indeed and even more expensive so the best option to get my hands on one quickly is to look at Grulla, Arrieta or AYA. Why do I want one? Because I don't have one and I fancy it.

What will it achieve that my other guns won't? I haven't thought about it "achieving" anything other than being enjoyable to use.

That's a fair answer. I only asked it because it is such a heavy gun for shooting pigeons with. I envisaged you shooting pigeons way up there on oxygen. To have things that you fancy is what money is for. money has no value until you spend it, otherwise it is just bits of paper. I bought my AyA #2 on a whim and I love it. A gun is just a tube through which a payload is delivered to a target but it is the pleasure of having and using it, that is the thing. As a young lad I got a lot of pleasure from having and shooting my single barrel BSA Snipe 12 even though it was a bit of a cheap junker I shot well with it and can still remember a few spectacular shots on pigeon.

• 1 year later...

Be aware that many of William Powell's s/s guns are made by Arrieta (as were a number of other UK 'named' guns). It is my understanding that Arrieta may have recently gone into receivership. Arrieta made good guns that were conventional and so almost any parts could be made if not available as spares ...... but at a cost.

I suspect Powell and others will source alternatives, but these may be in the form of different 'models'.

Be aware that many of William Powell's s/s guns are made by Arrieta (as were a number of other UK 'named' guns). It is my understanding that Arrieta may have recently gone into receivership. Arrieta made good guns that were conventional and so almost any parts could be made if not available as spares ...... but at a cost.

I suspect Powell and others will source alternatives, but these may be in the form of different 'models'.

This on Shotgun World

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=450835

Thanks... William Powell did not mention this when they rang today !

Oopps !