Oh! Browning - why did I bother!

browning123

I purchased a new Browning 525 Game in 12 gauge last February 2015 for my game shooting, After shooting yesterday I was cleaning the gun and noticed a 2" crack running up the stock from the recoil pad and up the grain.

Over the years I have experienced a lot of problems with Browning guns woodwork. I owned a B125 "C" for 28 years, it had its stock replaced in the first year due to cracks, then over the time I owned it it had two more replacement stocks, and I eventually sold it on with another cracked stock at a reduced price.

I also had a 325 sporter which I also part exchanged with a cracked stock! Also a 425 which I sold with a cracked stock!

To say I'm not happy with Browning woodwork is an understatement - I should of bought a new Baikal I never had a problem with the one I had, and it was used as a work gun.

Come on Browning get your act together!!!

And before anyone says - I must change my membership name!

Edited by browning123

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good news fella and hopefully it gets sorted with minimal fuss.

Ive had 3 Brownings,325,425 and now a 525 which ive had for at least 10 years with no probs.

It must be just my luck Dave - Sod's law.

My mate Tedly47 has just bought a nice new 725 hunter with grade 3 wood - I hope it's just me that has the problems!

I purchased a new Browning 525 Game in 12 gauge last February 2015 for my game shooting, After shooting yesterday I was cleaning the gun and noticed a 2" crack running up the stock from the recoil pad and up the grain.

Over the years I have experienced a lot of problems with Browning guns woodwork. I owned a B125 "C" for 28 years, it had its stock replaced in the first year due to cracks, then over the time I owned it it had two more replacement stocks, and I eventually sold it on with another cracked stock at a reduced price.

Did Browning tell you that you mustnt use it as a >> paddle on a boat, To bang fence posts in with, To use it to lever to help get out quads stuck up to the axles in mud. for dispatching wounded game and as a cricket bat. I've had a lot of guns of all sorts of makes and Never had a stock split.

Get a cynergy with a plastic stock,problem solved ;-)

I agree, it might be the way to go!

Did Browning tell you that you mustnt use it as a >> paddle on a boat, To bang fence posts in with, To use it to lever to help get out quads stuck up to the axles in mud. for dispatching wounded game and as a cricket bat. I've had a lot of guns of all sorts of makes and Never had a stock split.

Well all I can say is you've been very lucky!

Well on knowing Mr B and his addiction to cleaning his guns every time he uses them! and the fact that this gun has done nothing really in the last 11 months..... Oh and he doesn't shoot anything bigger than 30g loads it's a little shocking.....

Tedly...

I have a couple of 525s and a BPS and the wood seems fine. One of the 525s is about ten years old. Mind you they always go into a hard case in a car. Seems sensible as if something heavy gets dropped on it the design specifications are rather exceeded.

David.

You don't knock fence poles in with them ,do you .? Had many a browning over the years and never a problem with any of them . Have heard of the salt guns ,that are the Brownings which were made with wood seasoned in salt that caused massive problems .i was told by a gun smith many years ago that lots of cracks in forends and stocks was caused by the iron work in the forend not being screwed down tight and the stock bolt not being tight enough .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

I look after my guns very well, they are always cleaned after use and stock oil occasionally lightly applied to the woodwork. The problem gun has only had little use and at most has fired 300 cartridges in the eleven months I have owned it (28g & 30g cartridges only)

I own other makes of guns which are cleaned and stored the same way.......and I never have problems with these.

Edited by browning123

I hate ask but is it overly dry in the cabinet or the room it's kept in?

That. Especially in winter as central heating and such dries the air like crazy.

I have quite a few guitars, if it's too dry, I place a piece of cut potato in the case for a while. Perhaps you could toss half a potato at the bottom of the cabinet, especially in winter. Change it when it becomes dry. It's a great humidifying method..