Pinks on the move and no ducks

anser2

I did a tide flight this morning on the Norfolk coast. The tide was perfect , being just after dawn and there was a nice stiff wind and I was shooting what is normaly a good spot. I never saw a single quarry duck , just a handful of shielducks. Yet a couple of miles away there were very large flocks of both wigeon (1500) and teal (2000) on flooded inland marshes. However all morning skeins of pinks were on the move , apearing high in the sky to the east and following the coast westwards until out of sight. I guess the mild weather, state of the moon and following winds they are on their way north to Scotland on the first leg of their return migration.

The pinks on my Broadland marshes had dropped from 6-8 thousand to a few hundred over the past week ( mind you a mate and I putting half a dozen in the bag at the weekend might have hurried them on there way ) and its a similar story for the pinks on my part of the coast, numbers dropped on a reserve from 10,000 a week ago to the latest count of just 1200.

Edited by anser2

After 3 blanks in a row on the Norfolk marshes near Great Yarmouth last week I switched to pigeons on some land near Hemsby, 10 miles north of Yarmouth, late in the afternoon yesterday I watched skein after skein of pinks coming back from the west heading inland towards the marsh roosts, I think they are still here but feeding up the coast somewhere towards Cromer area, I have also seen several large groups numbering possibly 2000+ feeding on sugar beet tops Monday afternoon not more than 5 miles from the main roost marsh's.

I had plenty over me last week but they were so high they were untouchable even with my magnum firing 3.5 inch 1's and at 60 p per shot I just cant afford to waste cartridges, so that's it for this year, OK on the pinks but very disappointing on ducks with just 3 mallard and 3 teal,

I look forward to a decent year on the pigeons and rabbits then start fresh in September again ,A bit older and hopefully a lot wiser. :yes::yes:

It's been a hard season with all the rain. Some are saying worse one for about two decades

I have shot more mallard than previous but that's mainly down to duck tunnels and other work

Pinks have been ok but have acted weird often staying out on flooded fields at night rather than the normal roosts

Not had a single widgeon as frankly they haven't been on the Saltings. Know only s few who have had one

Teal ok early on but then the rain came

Pintail? Not seen