Thinking of stocking a pond at the shoot. What fish are best?

discodog

Hi.

A few of the chaps on the shoot are thinking of putting some Fish in one of our ponds. I dont know anything about fishing but some of the chaps want to do some fishing in the summer, its a good size pond 100mx300m .

It gets covered with weed in the summer too!

Will the Fish eat the weed? What type of fish will be best?

the Pond has a stream running tho it.

Your thoughts please

Thanks

I used to shoot a pond for mallard and teal we used to shoot about 60-70 teal a season on it then one summer I put 50 carp in and never shot another teal on it.Coincidence? possibly, there was no reason for it but that is what happened

Edited by geordieh

Firstly be aware that you`ll need the appropriate permits from the EA before you can stock any fish. Details are available on their website.

The only fish that really eat large amounts of pond weed are grass carp but stocking them can cause other problems.

If it were me I`d go for a mixture of tench, crucian carp and rudd. The 3 species can happily exist side by side. Decent sized tench provide good sport and the other two species are ideal for a bit of casual fishing. And once they reach a decent size are challenging to catch and have a bit of fight in them.

You could throw a few carp in as well but they do tend to turn ponds into muddy pools if they become too dominant.

Thanks for all your replys. :good:

I think someone put a few carp in it years ago, never seem anything tho, in the Winter we shoot 20 ish ducks in a season, we no longer put any ducks on it ourselves.

its only a small stream feeding in and out. I will have to look in to the licence side of things by the look of it , I think its NRW in wales...

If the pond has an outfall to a water course, the EA might not let you put fish in until you create a filter to stop any spawn getting into a water course that has different species of fish in it. Perch have very sticky spawn and are probably present already. Don't put any in until other stuff has a healthy breeding presence. Rudd give off more spawn for their weight than any other fish, so will soon increase in numbers, and will eat carp spawn as it is produced. I would avoid Rudd. Do you see any Cormorants? Tench would be sitting targets for them. If it is covered with weed in Summer, then it probably isn't very deep. Lots to think about.

Thanks for all your replys. :good:

I think someone put a few carp in it years ago, never seem anything tho, in the Winter we shoot 20 ish ducks in a season, we no longer put any ducks on it ourselves.

its only a small stream feeding in and out. I will have to look in to the licence side of things by the look of it , I think its NRW in wales...

As it has running water through it you will be limited to what you can stock. Rainbow trout usually look after them selves depending on area how ever you might struggle to get a licence to stock them. If they were to get out you would be in the ****. I personally would stick to coarse fish as they can be found relatively cheap and cheap/easy to maintain. A couple of grass carp for any fly fishers wouldn't go a miss either! Out of interest how deep is it? And what does the bottom consist of?

Do you see any Cormorants? Tench would be sitting targets for them.

Cormorants are just something else you can shoot, with the correct permits of course. :)

Not sure why you think a bottom feeding fish like the tench would be such a target for the black death though. Surface feeders are far more vulnerable.

Cormorants are just something else you can shoot, with the correct permits of course. :)

Not sure why you think a bottom feeding fish like the tench would be such a target for the black death though. Surface feeders are far more vulnerable.

Tench are fairly slow, Rudd are a bit quicker. Cormorants love Eels, another bottom dweller.

Its about 6 to 7 feet at its deepest , mostly stone on the bottom, it was made on a boggy patch 40 years ago.

If there is a good flow of water through the pond and it is clear, then the sun-light can get at the bottom and weed will flourish. Normally, weed will not grow in water that deep if it is cloudy.

You need to speak to Natural Resources Wales. They will know if the pond is registered and be able to give you a permit to stock fish and some good info on the best way to proceed.

If it's not registered, you need to contact CEFAS in Weymouth.

Tench are fairly slow, Rudd are a bit quicker. Cormorants love Eels, another bottom dweller.

Hmm interesting, didn`t know they liked eels. Still I`ve never seen a tench with scars that looked like they were inflicted by a bird strike and they are my favourite target species.

I must confess I missed the fact that the pond is fed by a stream. Buy a pint of maggots, give it a bash and see what turns up.

Edited by Danger-Mouse

The pond where my Tench are, gets more attention from Cormorants than the other ponds.

Must be a southern thing. The cormorants up here obviously like a challenge. :lol:

Seriously though, fair enough, I was just going on my own experience. Having said that the primary tench pond in my syndicate doesn`t have any fish shelters but most of the other ponds do. Also the majority of cormorant sightings near me are on the river Don which is not a great habitat for tench.

It is very difficult to get perms to get rid of the black death.