Thermal spotter

SPC1517

Hi all,

i'm looking for advice on which thermal spotter to purchase. Ive got a budget of £2000 maybe stretching to £2500 if its needed. This is a lot of money so obviously i want to make the right investment that will serve me well for the long term. Have any of you knowledgeable gents had experience of a spotter, or own one in this price range? It will be used for solo foxing out to 200 to 300 yards with my 22/250 rifle and night vision scope.

Many thanks, SPC

Hello there,

Yep me got one, no one's aloud to have one but me, lol

Its cheating, so I've been by some locals. I have the Pulsar XD50s, looked through the Flir scout TS24 and wouldn't swap, the image is too small in comparison. If your local your welcome to have a peep.

Not sure about the range of the 38's but with mine I can ID rabbits in a field at 600yds + so bear in mind Fox's further. It takes a little working out to begin with what's what at that distance but if you compare the obvious, ie sheep, cattle, then Fox's and rabbits you soon tell the difference. I got confused a while back down Dorset whilst stalking,spotted things at around 500yds off. I'd seen Deer before but not wild board. Initial thoughts were obviously Fallow but after a little thinking regarding seeing short legs,if any really and stumpy front end, they had to be Boar.

Differentiating between sheep in a field with a fox walking within the flock was easy the other night at 500 yds off.

There you go try that.

I fluffed up on the shot as I was trying to record the shot, find the fox with the rifle, work out how far off it was with just 1 pair of hands. I think I shot low.

It sounds like a good contact but it was a pretty wet field so I assumed it hit mud. No sign of anything near the position of the fox at all. But watching the clip it was very lucky.

The range was just over 280 yards.

Edited by Dougy

Hi

i have a pulsar hd19, get the 38 or 50 if possible.

excellent stuff.

i had a flir that i could borrow but the pulsar quantums are

my first choice

Hi Mark, sorry I'm hijacking this for my own ends

I'm still weighing up the 19 or 38 as I want max FOV but can't get my head around how badly the ID drops off with the wider lens - can you give us some of your thoughts?

Drew from drewlab.co.uk is where i bought my XD38S which is better than the hd as it has a faster re fresh rate and colour options i got it for £2200 which is cheapest in the country i think.

Good deal on Pulsar HD50S models here http://www.blackwoodoutdoors.co.uk/nightvision/thermal-imaging/pulsar-hd50s-thermal-monocular

Hi Mark, sorry I'm hijacking this for my own ends

I'm still weighing up the 19 or 38 as I want max FOV but can't get my head around how badly the ID drops off with the wider lens - can you give us some of your thoughts?

The shop that i bought it advised me the 19 for my needs, hogs, roe, fox in forrest and meadow.

I can spot a fox on 200 meters and that is a distance i can shoot in the dark.

For my needs price/quality is fine.

I was not ready to pay the extra for the 38, but...... if you have the money, go for the 38,

as it is more sensitive and what i can see is a bit clearer.

cheers

The shop that i bought it advised me the 19 for my needs, hogs, roe, fox in forrest and meadow.

I can spot a fox on 200 meters and that is a distance i can shoot in the dark.

For my needs price/quality is fine.

I was not ready to pay the extra for the 38, but...... if you have the money, go for the 38,

as it is more sensitive and what i can see is a bit clearer.

cheers

Nice one, thanks for replying. The 38 would be a squeeze but it does seem to be the one people recommend