Stolen Promatic Clay Traps, be aware...

Catamong

Steve Lovatt, (who runs the very successful Clay Shooting Company), has had some clay traps stolen from his ground at Westfield, Gloucestershire.

They were taken on Tuesday 19th / Wednesday 20th Jan by persons using a Open backed Land Rover Hi-Cap, fitted with BFG tyres.

They broke into his store and took 3 Promatic Super Sporter auto Clay traps, together with a Honda 420 automatic quad bike and trailer, (the trailer was abandoned nearby by the thieves as the wheel was punctured).

Could all PW members keep an eye open for these traps and quad bike, or make a note if any are offered for sale to clubs or individuals under suspicious circumstances?

Please PM me if you have any information, I will pass the info straight on to Steve, in confidence if necessary.

Steve puts a lot of effort into providing good quality targets at a number of grounds virtually every weekend of the year, he deserves our support, it would be good if any PW member could assist in help recover this gear and, hopefully, bring the thieves to justice..?

Cat.

Steve Lovatt, (who runs the very successful Clay Shooting Company), has had some clay traps stolen from his ground at Westfield, Gloucestershire.

They were taken on Tuesday 19th / Wednesday 20th Jan by persons using a Open backed Land Rover Hi-Cap, fitted with BFG tyres.

They broke into his store and took 3 Promatic Super Sporter auto Clay traps, together with a Honda 420 automatic quad bike and trailer, (the trailer was abandoned nearby by the thieves as the wheel was punctured).

Could all PW members keep an eye open for these traps and quad bike, or make a note if any are offered for sale to clubs or individuals under suspicious circumstances?

Please PM me if you have any information, I will pass the info straight on to Steve, in confidence if necessary.

Steve puts a lot of effort into providing good quality targets at a number of grounds virtually every weekend of the year, he deserves our support, it would be good if any PW member could assist in help recover this gear and, hopefully, bring the thieves to justice..?

Cat.

I've emailed this to my club. We might be too far away but who knows?

Edited by Glenlivet

Some good feedback here, no I'm not sure if Steve kept a note of the serial numbers, but apparently the traps were brand new, so I would imagine the serial numbers would be erased before the traps are sold on..?

There seems to be a current spate of trap thefts, God knows where they're all ending up..?

Thanks to all for their input, any more comments / suggestions more than welcome.. :good:

Cat.

There's been a lot of trap thefts in the past month or so, are they worth more for scrap metal or to sell on?

Surely with all social media coverage, a prespective buyer must find it unusual to purchase these equipment from a back of a lorry so to speak.

Scrap is pretty much worthless atm, a mate of mine told me he`s lucky to receive £50 for a car. Decent traps are worth several hundred quid each, my local shoot just bought a few 2nd hand and paid around £400 each iirc.

Cat.

Thieves with very good taste but still thieves who must be caught. Stay alert folks.

It is well worth checking out the Ebay ones available.

A couple of years ago we had 7 traps stolen from Bridgnorth Gun Club.

I received an email from someone on this website from Leamington Spa saying I may be interested in a trap that was for sale in Wolverhampton ( 7 miles from the ground)

I contacted the seller , sure enough it was one of our traps, I asked if he had anymore , he said he may know someone who did ! I gave all the details to the Police who were not really bothered. ( It took two police forces , West Mids & West Mercia ) a day to attend the scene at the Gunclub and take details.

We got all our traps back. BUT we had to wait whilst Plod watched events and did various people for stealing, selling, and receiving stolen goods. About seven weeks later we were allowed to reclaim our traps , at our cost from -------------------------------- Stirling in Scotland.

If they had acted promptly we could have had our traps back in three days from Wolverhampton.

I have seen a few of these reports posted on fb Cat, is this one already up there?

Yes, it's there, but a lot of PW members are only casual clay shooters who are more likely to come across these traps at a small, informal, private clay shoot.

Somehow I can't see them being found at EJ Churchills..? :hmm:

Cat.

I buy and sell clay traps, and refurb them!

It was me that found the traps stolen from Bridgenorth.

I won't touch anything that is doubtful, usually the price gives it away! But clubs could help themselves by putting some identifying mark on traps, after all they all look alike!

Something inside the control box or a splodge of bright paint in an out of the way place under the carousel or throwing plate, and write down the serial numbers.

Kermit

i hate it when a hard working bloke gets kicked like this.

as for the traps, as well as gun grounds and the like i would see people buying them for there own use, say a few lads on a permission buying a trap thrower in the pub etc, or is there a market for a european sale

as for police intervention i have very strong negative views on their speed of action

There is a market abroad for traps, but they would need to be advertised to get the sale. Or a gang would need a ready market, which would take some organising.

I think the Police have other things to do, and can't be bothered chasing round the country trying to identify possible stolen goods,

Steve will have the serial numbers on the invoice, as the traps were new, but few grounds know the serial numbers of their traps, so it would be impossible to bring a prosecution, without positive i/d.

I think it's down to websites like this to pass the word round when stuff gets knicked, and for grounds to put some effort into protecting their assets.

Unfortunately they don't hang thieves anymore.

kermit

• 4 weeks later...

We heard police think there going over to Poland with a lot of stolen farm machinery being stolen to order but if they get caught they will only say we don't understand English thieving scum bags

They have a tendency to understand the bang of a cell door though !

Paint anything like that with UV water in a secret, concealed place with a recorded set of three digits, then if found it can be categorically proven they're yours

Devils advocate, if the UV paint is applied in a hidden concealed area, who is going to be able to find it and notify the real owner.

I am not trying to be clever, but cannot get my head around this.