ticket for wrongly spaced reg plate

eddoakley

Anyone here ever been booked for having a number plate incorrectly spaced?

Got a ticket yesterday while parked at a service station and wonder if as it is private property I may be able to challenge the ticket/fine.

From what I can see it doesn't matter where the vehicle is and they can book you anywhere but any info would be appreciated.

Funny that when I Google the offence code (ve94135) the first thing that comes up is a forum where someone else had the same ticket, in the same car park issued by the same officer. Bet he's pretty pleased with himself.

I accept that it is spaced incorrectly but does it really matter to anyone other than jobsworths?

Surely there are better things for them to be doing than searching car parks for private plates?

Edd

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't be such a gangstar having rude boy plates!

I used to get a ticking off all the time about the plates I had on my razzed up fiesta when I was 17. Thankfully never got a ticket but plenty of threats.

Unlucky mate. Sounds like you just caught by the wrong one. I got caught doing 35/36 in a 30 and had the copper do me for it. Whilst writing the ticket there were several cars that passed speeding excessively which he wasn't bothered about as he had got me. Although annoying I was speeding so couldn't argue really.

I'd be interested to know how incorrectly spaced it was and whether it spells something obvious which got this jobsworth a bit jealous. I got a mate with the official jig to do my wife's PP which spells her name but we carefully went as close as possible within the guide from both sides :) it's now been on at least 3 different cars and so far so good. More recently I sent off for my own PP which spells my surname but again got the guy to go as close as possible without being OTT.

Edited by Hamster

I've known people who have been done for it, yes. The more blatant it is, the more likely you are to get done.

Got a private plate myself. But it's properly spaced, so never had any grief at all over it.

EDIT : you won't be able to challenge it. Service stations are part of the public highway.

Edited by robbiep

Anyone here ever been booked for having a number plate incorrectly spaced?

Got a ticket yesterday while parked at a service station and wonder if as it is private property I may be able to challenge the ticket/fine.

From what I can see it doesn't matter where the vehicle is and they can book you anywhere but any info would be appreciated.

Funny that when I Google the offence code (ve94135) the first thing that comes up is a forum where someone else had the same ticket, in the same car park issued by the same officer. Bet he's pretty pleased with himself.

I accept that it is spaced incorrectly but does it really matter to anyone other than jobsworths?

Surely there are better things for them to be doing than searching car parks for private plates?

Edd

Playing devils advocate here, you accept it is wrongly spaced, but presumably it is done for a reason. Does it spell out your name or something similar?

You don't tell us what the plate actually shows and what the incorrect spacing offence is based upon.

The plate is on a vehicle so presumably being on private ground ie the Service Station should have no bearing on the matter.

It is illegal to have incorrect spacing on your plate. Now they are using APNR they are quite hot on this as it won't pick up on incorrectly spaced plates. If you are out on the road, and a service station is (as you must have driven there in the first place) means they can get you.

The plates you have are "show" plates and are just that, plates used for car shows and should not be on the road. Official resellers of plates must adhere to strict sizing and spacing, these guys you need to show you reg docs to to get a plate.

Hope this helps.

There's a teacher who parks close to my home. Her official number plate is E14 NET, but, as her name is Elaine Thomas, she's altered it to read, E14NE T. She has had this displayed for at least 2 years that I know of. :|

I see plenty like that too, the only logical explanation is that they screw a legal set on come MOT time.

I have to say that I've never really seen the point of paying for a personalised car registration plate, but each to their own I suppose.

A fella that used to go to my gym had 695 FAB.

He strategically placed a black screw to hold the plate on the car between the 9 and the 5, sort of like an apostrophe!!

Edited by Passionforangling

People have been prosecuted for having a small flag (English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish) on their number plate, so why don't the authorities act on those who blatantly alter their number pates. I know person who sent a list of illegal number plates to the DVLA and his local police station. According to him, nothing was done about it.

Do the crime do the time springs to mine.

Perhaps the cop was from the Traffic Department, hence his job to enforce them.

The offence is not complete for the purposes of a ticket, if you were on private land at the time. Clearly you were not.

People have been prosecuted for having a small flag (English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish) on their number plate, so why don't the authorities act on those who blatantly alter their number pates. I know person who sent a list of illegal number plates to the DVLA and his local police station. According to him, nothing was done about it.

Crikey, talk about sour grapes!

The Police would have to catch them on a road to ticket them. Having them on their car on private property is not an offence.

Edit - Although I do see your point with the plates showing your flag, to use when going outside the country.

Edited by jam1e

Pretty much accepted that I will have to pay it, but still looking of there is a way out lol.

So in answer to some of the questions/point

1- spaced out as ED0 3 OAK

2- there is a badge where a flag could be

3- it was definitely private property, I have checked with the company that owns it

4- it seems that even on private property it's still an offence

5- someone said "if you were in a car park it's assumed that you drove there" (or words to that effect) but I have not got a ticket for what they assume, they could assume that I was drunk and speeding to get there but they can't prosecute me for that!!

Had the plate the same way for ages and not been an issue to the dozens of police behind me on the motorway.

I have several and they are all spaced incorrectly.

Edd