Land rover Demise

guzzicat

Today marks the end of L/R production,I had 7 over the decades including 2 series 1 & my favourite , a series 3 L.W.B,. safari, (diesel. + O/D ).They will probably sell rights to India, they will remove all the electronics,put in a N/A diesel & that will be the "new "Enfield Bullet. I switched to Isuzu Trooper A few years back due to back problems, I gave my last L/R (S3 Diesel +Roverdrive to my old shooting buddy in Winlaton, Tyneside He had it 2 weeks before it was stolen & never seen again.

And vin plates on other vehicles, I have spotted a "tax exempt & M.O.T I.E pre 1960 " Defender on the road near Aberdeen, I checked tax disc & yes historic

It is amazing how blatantly this goes on. If you go to any Land Rover show there are many late series 3 running around with tax exemption, just swap over your chassis number and away you go.

To many bits go wrong and too fast to strip for bits with a vast market

If they don't seal the whole thing you just find the thief makes off with your doors and bonnet etc

Through my teens and early twenties I was rarely without a few landrovers and it's a sad end to 70 years but although I am tempted to buy one of the last the fact remains they are no longer so practical as a Japanese or American pick up

love them or hate them it is a shame to see another legend of our time disappear.they enjoyed excellent sales figures the world over,and the name is one recognised in every corner of the world.i think it is a little short sighted of the parent company to cease these models,but I suppose it is just not fashionable now to have a fuctionable workhorse.another example of this great country of ours losing its identity.

Yes a nice leaf sprung 5 speed diesel, no electronics,no chrome or metalic paint & seat technology from modern tractors a modern series 1,If you look closely at the closing scenes in "Ice Cold In Alex" as Van Der Poull is driven away by the red caps there is a green one standing,Alex in 1944!

love them or hate them it is a shame to see another legend of our time disappear.they enjoyed excellent sales figures the world over,and the name is one recognised in every corner of the world.i think it is a little short sighted of the parent company to cease these models,but I suppose it is just not fashionable now to have a fuctionable workhorse.another example of this great country of ours losing its identity.

it may surprise you to know, but the decision to stop making them wasn't as cut and dried as it seems.

the real reason they have had to cease production is due to the design of the vehicle prohibiting it from meeting the upcoming EU8 emission regs.

Land Rover/Jaguar (TATA) tried for as long as possible to rectify it, but it couldn't be done without passing a significant cost on to the end consumer.

I think they are fully aware that the next model needs to perform well, otherwise it wont sell, so they have thrown an obscene amount of money in to the design of it.

the bottom line for most farmers is that they want the new model to perform as well as the last. as long as LR can get that right, they'll sell.

it may surprise you to know, but the decision to stop making them wasn't as cut and dried as it seems.

the real reason they have had to cease production is due to the design of the vehicle prohibiting it from meeting the upcoming EU8 emission regs.

Land Rover/Jaguar (TATA) tried for as long as possible to rectify it, but it couldn't be done without passing a significant cost on to the end consumer.

I think they are fully aware that the next model needs to perform well, otherwise it wont sell, so they have thrown an obscene amount of money in to the design of it.

the bottom line for most farmers is that they want the new model to perform as well as the last. as long as LR can get that right, they'll sell.

I find that difficult to fathom.if l/r jaguar can't produce an engine to meet eu emissions then they will have to do what they have done for many years now and fit them with a Japanese engine.you can be sure the japs will not cease production of 4x4 vehicles.are they going to stop making range rovers and discovery models.would the engines from those not fit a defender. Edited by bostonmick

its more to do with the defenders chassis and weight rating. its just wasn't feasible to keep lopping bits off here and there, and to completely change everything wasn't as cost effective as designing and producing a 'future proof' model.

couple that with the fact that the outgoing defender's build process was incredibly labour intensive, and you can begin to understand why it wasn't a tangible option to keep it in production.

so, we can thank the EU for yet another nail in the coffin of one more british icon.

I find that difficult to fathom.if l/r jaguar can't produce an engine to meet eu emissions then they will have to do what they have done for many years now and fit them with a Japanese engine.you can be sure the jars will not cease production of 4x4 vehicles.are they going to stop making range rovers and discovery models.would the engines from those not fit a defender.

I wouldn't have thought the problem is producing a clean engine but making one that'll move a LR about and still give acceptable emissions.

The LR is extremely unlikely to die off completely, at the very least there will be countries that will buy the rights and continue manufacturing in one way or another. I recall seeing brand new ones in Iran a few years ago and being told they were either bought from or manufactured locally via an Italian company links.

Edited by Hamster

I wouldn't have thought the problem is producing a clean engine but making one that'll move a LR about and still give acceptable emissions.

The LR is extremely unlikely to die off completely, at the very least there will be countries that will buy the rights and continue manufacturing in one way or another. I recall seeing brand new ones in Iran a few years ago and being told they were either bought from or manufactured locally via an Italian company links.

were they landrover or the Spanish Santana..........which the spanish bought the rights to make the 88" and 109"...?

were they landrover or the Spanish Santana..........which the spanish bought the rights to make the 88" and 109"...?

I couldn't say but they were the 3 three door and looked the absolute biz, worked out about £5k too :) was almost tempted to try and import one but figured there'd be way too many hoops to jump through.

What happened to the Santana in the end ? Looked ok, had the Iveco 2.8 and apparently pulled like a train and was "relatively" comfortable on parabolics. Haven't seen one about now though for years.

The bottom line with the Defender was it cost too much to build, not enough profit compared to the other models. Everything else could have been got round, even emissions and crash testing.

I find that difficult to fathom.if l/r jaguar can't produce an engine to meet eu emissions then they will have to do what they have done for many years now and fit them with a Japanese engine.you can be sure the japs will not cease production of 4x4 vehicles.are they going to stop making range rovers and discovery models.would the engines from those not fit a defender.

While im sure this could be done, you have to remember that it is not just EU emissions regulations that newly built cars have to meet. There are hundreds of regulations that have to be met, from emssions, to crash (both occupant and padestrian), braking regs (ABS, stability, performance....) etc. Not only EU regs, but US, Japan....etc Even if we did fit a new more efficient engine (and then make it give real emissions benefits once in the car - they aren't exactly aerodynaimc or particularly light), then there will always be other regulations that will have to be overcome down the line. This is all with a design that has not changed significantly in its near 70year history. Unfortunately, its just doesnt make much business sense when viewed objectively.

Also, as Brett says, then theres the manufacturing, old tools to be renewed/maintained etc

Believe me its with a very heavy heart that production is stopping. Employees were invited to bring in their Series Land Rovers and Defenders to display across all the sites today, and seeing all the different models parked together, knowing why, put a real lump in your throat. This wouldnt have been a decision that was made lightly im sure.

While im sure this could be done, you have to remember that it is not just EU emissions regulations that newly built cars have to meet. There are hundreds of regulations that have to be met, from emssions, to crash (both occupant and padestrian), braking regs (ABS, stability, performance....) etc. Not only EU regs, but US, Japan....etc Even if we did fit a new more efficient engine (and then make it give real emissions benefits once in the car - they aren't exactly aerodynaimc or particularly light), then there will always be other regulations that will have to be overcome down the line. This is all with a design that has not changed significantly in its near 70year history. Unfortunately, its just doesnt make much business sense when viewed objectively.

Also, as Brett says, then theres the manufacturing, old tools to be renewed/maintained etc

Believe me its with a very heavy heart that production is stopping. Employees were invited to bring in their Series Land Rovers and Defenders to display across all the sites today, and seeing all the different models parked together, knowing why, put a real lump in your throat. This wouldnt have been a decision that was made lightly im sure.

Not so sure about this bit, profit margins on Defenders were nowhere near the other models, and whatever you say about Tata, they're certainly profit motivated. In their current market they obviously assume they no longer need the Defender history to prop up their brand image, let's hope they're right.

Personally I don't think they'll exist in ten / twenty years, I think it will be a grab the grants and make as much as possible while they can. Having said that, it's only what a lot of other businesses do (banks ?)

The defender has been handbuilt for many years now in comparison to more modern vehicles. Approximately 18,000 a year are sold new. This does not justify production. We all love the beast, especially me, I have a 300 TDI.

Whilst a lot of the purist bemoan its passing most of us have not bought a new one in years.

Whilst we may not like it,the money is made by volume in models that appeal to the broad masses hence the Evoke etc.

There's plenty of speculative comments and the constant need to upgrade due to changing regulations.But the bottom line for me is that for whatever reason we have lost a true British success story.I have owned a series 1.a 2A and one of the first 110 counties.All have been slow . uncomfortable.Easy to maintain and totally bombproof and reliable . I'll really miss em.After all its what I grew up with.Could never afford one of the newer ones though.