Land rover Demise

guzzicat

What happened to the Santana in the end ? Looked ok, had the Iveco 2.8 and apparently pulled like a train and was "relatively" comfortable on parabolics. Haven't seen one about now though for years.

The bottom line with the Defender was it cost too much to build, not enough profit compared to the other models. Everything else could have been got round, even emissions and crash testing.

They rotted quicker than a landy bulkhead and had a habit of eating driveshafts apparently.

In your dreams.

Mine has appreciated £2000 since I bought it.

It is immaculate bodywork and low mileage though. :)

Bought a 'mint' galved late series 3 at auction last jan for £11k, one just went through the same place last week, £16k, is was slightly more mint but only slightly, have they really gone up so much ?

The Santana was a Spanish produced Land Rover. Rover Japan make Land Rovers not sure of the models but I had a Discovery 300 tdi that was electronic not mechanical pump on a 2001 Y plate even though in the uk it was the td5 by that time.

I heard that the real reason for the Defenders demise was the MOD not buying them anymore. Going for a different more upto the tasks of modern needs vehicle.

The increase in values I think will be short lived when the newer versions come out. The photos I've seen I think it looks good and still rugged.

Edited by figgy

After owning my dream 90 td5 for a year and a bit adding windows, BFG at tyres, and other stuff I sold it last week for a hilux. I couldn't live with the fear factor of not knowing but expecting. Even the drive to the trade in had me on the edge of my seat and not just because it's too small. It was an icon and I had to own one once but for me it quickly passed

How easily impressed am I by diff lock, two batteries, heat boost, suspension and a radio I can hear.