Flirting with Gertrude.

JDog

I had a drive round this morning. The wind at the top of the Wolds was pretty strong, strong enough to cause the car to drift off the road on several occasions.

The pigeons were having a rough time of it. They must have used so much energy flying into it it must have hardly been worth the effort. The only place the flocks were ever going to be was hidden in the folds of the land or in the shelter of some of the woods. I did see quite a few flocks of forty or so but never saw an opportunity to set up. Rape still seems to be the only crop they are interested in apart from the maize in the game covers.

Not the only food source they are interested in, there are two rape fields about 10 minutes from me and all the birds today (about 300) were on the other side of the lane on grass, its got a lot of clover in it so I presume they were nit picking on this and other weeds, there were plenty of birds coming into it, I watched it for about 11/2 hours and not one bird went to the rape field.

Not the only food source they are interested in, there are two rape fields about 10 minutes from me and all the birds today (about 300) were on the other side of the lane on grass, its got a lot of clover in it so I presume they were nit picking on this and other weeds, there were plenty of birds coming into it, I watched it for about 11/2 hours and not one bird went to the rape field.

Bet if u look tomoz u won't see one on that grass field. I see about 10 pigeons on the side of a dual carriageway feeding today, very odd place to be, in the last week or so I've seen them on cabbages, rape, maize,ivy, clover

After a quiet spell we have had a big influx of birds in the last week or so. I am out first thing tomorrow to try my luck on a big block of rape that has a small spinney in the middle. Hopeful of a shot or 2 in the forecast gale, Lads I know on a local farm shoot stopped their keepers day this week to line a wood out for half an hour and picked 28 pigeons between 14 guns. I'd have stayed there all day!

Chased pigeons all over Northumberland this morning in the gale for grand total of 6. Re-confirmed why I don't shoot winter rape very often now!

Yep stopped chasing them years ago on winter rape, it was costing a fortune in fuel spending hours trying to find some that looked shoot-able and ending up shooting 5 or 10 or coming home without pulling the trigger.

I see lots of people on PW telling us they been watching lots of pigeons on field A or B and they intend to have a go at them,

but very few follow up as you have done so well done for coming back and giving us your results.

Roost shooting is where it's at right now, especially with the strong winds we've been getting lately. No huge bags but a steady hour or two of quality shooting with a definite finishing time without having to spend all day on reconnaissance. I think the birds will become shootable on rape later in the year but not right now generally.

On the estate we have got nearly 500 acres of rape and yesterday we were game shooting on the side where the pigeons are , and without a shadow of doubt there were 1000s ,and yet the day before we were shooting on the other side of the estate and never hardly saw a pigeon .

We hope to make a start tomorrow decoying now we have finished with the Pheasants , the forecast is windy and mild , ideal for sitting about and hopefully having a few shots .

On Saturday I saw a couple of hundred on the grass verge bank at the A130/Rettenden junction in Essex, also, a couple of thousand on a rape field on the very outskirts of Southend along Stton Road. They were there yesterday too.