Assistance please. On shooting down the line.

Hey everybody. It's not fun admitting i cannot get hit much while pigeon shooting, down the line. Is there any tips on how to get better sooner rather than later, without going to lessons? Its a lot harder than one would expect, a lot of fun. But any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

hello, what shotgun are you shooting with? how about this book, the art of good shooting by Major J E M Ruffer you can buy a decent s/h copy?

I assume by "down the line" you mean going away birds.

With a low going away bird, such as a flushed partridge or pheasant, I shoot just above above the bird, on the basis that its rising.

High going away birds I shoot under the bird with appropriate lead.

DTL practice at a clayground for going away pigeons is not much help, as the targets are low.

I would suggest going away birds on a sporting layout would be much more appropriate.

The way I'm reading it is that Rachael is clay shooting not live shooting?

There is no quick fix to any type of shooting,

If it's trap shooting your after then I'm afraid a couple of lessons is the only way,

It will help you get all of the basics right.

Unless of course it is live pigeon shooting you're on about in which case I will be quiet

:shaun:

Rachael ,

first of all it's hard to shoot DTL without a dedicated trap gun , with a trap gun you can just put the clay on the pip and pull the trigger .With a sporter you will need to come through the clay until it disappears under your barrel ithen you blot the clay out with the barrel and pull the trigger , the problem with this is you have no idea how much the gun has moved above the clay as you can no longer see it .

Yes some people can shoot DTL with a sporter but they will be accomplished shots allready . See if someone at your local club will lend you a trap gun to try . You also don't tell us what gun or choke you are using

Deershooter

Get the folks at the ground to fix the trap in one position and just focus on straight going away birds. Pick the point you're going to break it, and try to keep it consistent. Once you have them grooved, move a peg leaving the trap where it is to get an idea of angles ...

The most important thing is to keep staring hard at the clay, not the gun ......

1/2 choke and 8's in the first barrel will be ideal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clay-Shooting-For-Advanced-Shot/dp/B000FBHBWO

In this old video Ian Coley gives a demonstration of shooting DTL whilst wearing an eye-cam and it is a bit of an eye-opener regarding the discipline. Other than that the video series is a bit of a disappointment but is worth purchasing this DVD just for the section pertaining to Ian Coley. :good:

Happy shooting

Choke is also a player in DTL, whilst people can shoot dtl with skeet chokes and you always get people say they shoot everything with 1/4&1/2, there is a reason all dedicated trap gun makers of fixed choke guns make them 3/4&full , I used to shoot dtl with 1/4&3/4 fixed choke but my scores improved when I switched to 3/4&full as its shot stream you want at edge on targets imho

Come on phil r this is your domain

I don't think you can coach on an internet forum. The OP may not have a gun that is a reasonable fit, she may have a dominant eye problem. So advice on chokes etc is a bit irrelevant. Best thing is to see a coach who can assess whether the absolute basics are correct first. Once that's sorted everything else follows on from that.

I would not agree choke is irrelevant at all Phil , she could be spot on and still missing as the pattern is all wrong for the required discipline. I agree the basics need sorting such as gun fit and lessons are the way forward with a good coach who can check gun fit and suitability

Edited as cannot spell

Edited by sishyplops

I would not agree choke is irrelevant at all Phil , she could be spot on and still missing as the pattern is all wrong for the required discipline. I agree the basics need sorting such as gun fit and lessons are the way forward with a good coach who can check gun fit and suitability

Edited as cannot spell

So if the OP had a trap gun with plenty of choke, but the comb was too low so that her eye which should've been centred above the rib was only really seeing the top lever and her other eye was taking over the choking of the gun would help?. First steps first and I don't think DTL requires choking as tight as 3/4 and Full, 1/2 & 1/2 or 3/4 is ample. It's a points game and to get a first barrel kill you only need to the Referee to see visible pieces, not balls of soot.

In the past I've shot thousands of DTL targets. I don't shoot it any more as I shoot OT, UT and ABT and only use 5/8 and 3/4 chokes with 24gm cartridges.

I don't think you can coach on an internet forum. The OP may not have a gun that is a reasonable fit, she may have a dominant eye problem. So advice on chokes etc is a bit irrelevant. Best thing is to see a coach who can assess whether the absolute basics are correct first. Once that's sorted everything else follows on from that.

And that's why phil with attitude you will never shoot for England.......... oh wait.

Rachael be careful DTL can be addictive, I am currently in recovery..... Best advice is to just get out and shoot lots of targets, take tips slowly and don't worry your not hitting 25/25. Most DTL grounds are full of experienced shots who can help you often without paying a penny. A trap gun that fits will help as will a consistent mount 21g will break them easily shoot quick but don't rush and I wouldn't worry about the second barrel until your hitting 20+ with a single barrel. Your just wasting carts and birds you do get are going to mislead you.

dont shoot through flash targets , slow things down a tad . timing timing and timing , find your own pace , if your watch the good DTL shooters , there is ONE thing your notice ................. timing tick .......... tock ........... tick ........... tock ........

also look at the height of the clays , DONT hold your gun too high or too low . the transition from picking the bird up to killing the bird should be smooth and efffertless , if you jerk the gun or stab at it you will end up going straight through it and shooting over the top ,

dtl is about repetition and timing , also mental discipline is just as importantant , if your mind is NOT focused you WILL miss

• 2 weeks later...