Dogs not sleeping in kennel

krowe79

What does this mean? >> esp and a lad ?

I have a esp and a lad they share a kennel Happily but now they have decided to dig two holes at the bottom off the garden under the conifers And sleep there why would they do this seems strange Behaviour Both work well and seem happy

They have the run off the garden Kennel is we're they sleep

I would get them a kennel with run made rather than give them the run of the whole garden .

Them sleeping out doors in a hole is not going to do their long term health much good I would think and I dare saw people like the RSPCA would not be impressed if you have nosey neighbours that could report it

I would get them a kennel with run made rather than give them the run of the whole garden .

Them sleeping out doors in a hole is not going to do their long term health much good I would think and I dare saw people like the RSPCA would not be impressed if you have nosey neighbours that could report it

My dogs have always had the run of the garden. There are two kennels, a workshop with a dog flap and an open garage to choose from. There is plenty of bedding in each of those locations. Their choice for 70% of the time? They slept on paving slabs in the open.Neither of them had health problems and no one reported me. I've a picture somewhere of the German Shepherd sleeping in the open during a snowstorm. She was covered in snow and I had to wake her up to make her go in the house. That's what dogs do.

My dogs have always had the run of the garden. There are two kennels, a workshop with a dog flap and an open garage to choose from. There is plenty of bedding in each of those locations. Their choice for 70% of the time? They slept on paving slabs in the open.Neither of them had health problems and no one reported me. I've a picture somewhere of the German Shepherd sleeping in the open during a snowstorm. She was covered in snow and I had to wake her up to make her go in the house. That's what dogs do.

Whilst mine are kennelled I agree, if they and you are happy then leave them be. One of mine slept for years on top of the kennel sleeping box.

Whilst mine are kennelled I agree, if they and you are happy then leave them be. One of mine slept for years on top of the kennel sleeping box.

Mine both have insulated sleeping boxes and normally choose to sleep outside of them , it is how ever a little drier than a hole in the ground and to be honest I just cannot see where any dog owner would be happy with that situation.

I just cannot see where any dog owner would be happy with that situation.

My dogs are happy so I'm happy. Dogs do a lot of things that could be considered bad but they will generally refuse to do anything that they don't want to. Digging a hole to sleep in just seems like a normal animal response to making themselves feel more safer or more comfortable. If you want to get them back in the kennels then you have to work on what it is that they don't like. Maybe bedding or location needs reviewing?

Why are you interested in my garden are you keen gardeners ?? Half decked half flags with a trees at back I don't under stand why ???

hope your garden is secure as one morning your might have two empty holes if the wrong people get wind . Sometimes dogs don't know what's best for them so it's up to us to make sure their warm and dry and safe from thieving scum. My advice is do what I and almost everyone I know do, kennel them under lock and key for the night at least.

I know that you arent going to like what im going to say but I feel that someone has to say it. For anyone to allow their dogs to live like this is bizzar. With the amount of rain that we have had the garden must resemble the Somme. How can you allow your dogs to live in holes in the ground. They might have dug them and they might live in them but it isn't good for their health long term. If someone reports you to the RSPCA then there is a good chance that the dogs will be taken off of you and you might be taken to court for animal cruelty. It won't be a defence that they like it down the holes and they could live in the kennel if they wanted to. Dogs will get wet, muddy and cold when out hunting but no different to any bit of kit it should be looked after and maintained. It's down to you to look after them. And I don't care if some don't like what I have written. +1 to the previous post

Edited by fortune

I too have a couple of dogs that spend an awful lot of time sleeping on top of there boxes rather than in them, my springer will sleep on top for 8+ months of the year, unless driving rain or very windy, but runs are covered too.

Must admirt i find it strange to give any dog the run of ur garden full time un supervised, esp if ur trying to train them. Far too much oportunity for them to get up to mischief or possibly try to escape.

In theory if dog have acces to warm draught free boxes then its thier choice, they might move throu the nite and only sleep for a few hours in the hole. In the wild they would do something similar.

If u ever see some of thoose program from artic areas with sliegh husky's that just sleep in the snow at -20+

But it does seem funny and may not be good for dogs long term and others may take a far harsher view like above

U don't mention if ur dog are working but i think if ur going to work ur dogs hard they should get well looked after, only fair.

I definately would be putting a decent run round ur sleeping boxes so ur dogs are secure and enclosed and have a raised shellf of ground so dogs can still sleep of the ground if they want without getting chilled

Is the kennel door exposed.

If the wind and cold can blow straight in they might be rejecting it in favour of a sheltered hole that is in a draft proof position.

When I had a dog that lived outside years ago the kennel had a porch that slotted onto the kennel held in place with two hooks. It had a sloping roof and two sides so the entrance on the porch was at right angles to the kennel entrance. It just unhooked to enable cleaning of the kennel.

Another option is a wind barrier inside the kennel and ensuring the outer entrance is not facing into prevailing winds.

http://www.ashcustomwood.com/UserFiles/Image/Inside_Doghouse.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Hi mate the kennel is in a shelter like a shed which I have built on to the house to provide protection from wind and rain it is warm and dry wind free thanks 👍

Is the kennel door exposed.

If the wind and cold can blow straight in they might be rejecting it in favour of a sheltered hole that is in a draft proof position.

When I had a dog that lived outside years ago the kennel had a porch that slotted onto the kennel held in place with two hooks. It had a sloping roof and two sides so the entrance on the porch was at right angles to the kennel entrance. It just unhooked to enable cleaning of the kennel.

Another option is a wind barrier inside the kennel and ensuring the outer entrance is not facing into prevailing winds.

http://www.ashcustomwood.com/UserFiles/Image/Inside_Doghouse.jpg

• 7 months later...

dogs will dig a hole to protect themselves from the elements whether it be to keep warm in the winter or to keep cool in the summer although this is normally done under cover of a hedge etc

it is a natural thing for them my girls have a hole under my conifer hedge to keep cool in the hot weather whilst they are outside they prefer this to there kennel as it is cooler

Some of you guys posting about the RSPCA sound like a bunch of bunny loving, tree hugging, green, leftie, I'll tempered antis..... Get off yer moral high horses.

The reason the dogs are sleeping outside is because they prefer it to their insulated stuffy kernels.

Foxes, wild dogs, coyotes etc.... All live in holes under the ground, get grip lads.

My sisters lab has the run of the garden all year round, it has a kennel but prefers to sleep under a bush or on the patio. It has water, shelter if it wants and space to move whats to complain about? It doesn't matter how bad the weather is the dog always finds somewhere dry and out of the wind