.177 air rifle

Hendrix's rifle

Evening gents. After an outing last night even with all the disturbances (police helicopter hovering above me) I managed to get 2 rabbits with my gamo .22. I was talking to my old man earlier as there were a couple of rabbits I missed due to my own fault of not being able to accurately guess the range with the nv and he suggested I try a .177 because of the trajectory. I have shot a few and found them ok but have always had .22 and usually had good bags with it however this range finding with the night vision is a learning curve to me :L due to just putting in for my fac I was wondering if there are any decent .177 springers out there I can buy at a cheap cost, new or secondhand. Thanks for reading and cheers in advance :). Ps, springers only due to funds and not liking the gas ram in my gamo too much tbh!

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

welcome to the world of night time shooting,

if you want an honest opinion for night shooting then you are best using a multishot pcp in .177, the reasons for this are pretty simple,

1. having a multishot will eliminate faffing about trying to load pellets in the dark + it also gives you the advantage of an instant second shot to ensure a clean ( HUMANE ) kill,

2. pcp, why ,, well its because you will get a minimum of 40 shots per charge or 350 shots if using an Airwolf mct ,, bet you cant carry that many rabbits lol,

3, .177 is the way to go when shooting of a night because the trajectory is a lot flatter than a .22 thus making judging distance a lot LESS critical , my advice is to zero it at 30-35yrds and you wont go wrong,

if shooting of a day then .22 pcp or springer will suffice but defo .177 for night shooting at multiple distances

a cracking cheap pcp is the rotex r8 in .177 , they are a very accurate rifle in the right hands that's for sure

heres a few taken with a .177 at night on the golf coarse

DSC_0196-Copy_zps97aa7ae4.jpg

good luck with whatever you choose bud

atb Evo

Thanks for the advice, the reason for springer as said is because it is cheap and I have applied for fac so will hopefully be getting either a 22wmr or 17hmr depending on what I fancy. I personally deem the air rifle to require a lot more skill and also more skill in the art of field craft. I will not stop shooting air rifles as they are simple and to me feel more rewarding having to stalk and get pellet placement spot on to bag thee rabbit where as seeing a rabbit at 100 yards and taking the shot. My budget is around £200 at the minute. If I could buy a daystate I most certainly would But as said funds won't allow. Cheers again :)

welcome to the world of night time shooting,

if you want an honest opinion for night shooting then you are best using a multishot pcp in .177, the reasons for this are pretty simple,

1. having a multishot will eliminate faffing about trying to load pellets in the dark + it also gives you the advantage of an instant second shot to ensure a clean ( HUMANE ) kill,

2. pcp, why ,, well its because you will get a minimum of 40 shots per charge or 350 shots if using an Airwolf mct ,, bet you cant carry that many rabbits lol,

3, .177 is the way to go when shooting of a night because the trajectory is a lot flatter than a .22 thus making judging distance a lot LESS critical , my advice is to zero it at 30-35yrds and you wont go wrong,

if shooting of a day then .22 pcp or springer will suffice but defo .177 for night shooting at multiple distances

a cracking cheap pcp is the rotex r8 in .177 , they are a very accurate rifle in the right hands that's for sure

heres a few taken with a .177 at night on the golf coarse

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=b7396913629de89fe0958efc451f7e8a&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=329680&p=2992999&md5check=1a56fe5b2de5e9985c97a554a79d5b68&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,CvmwzDp97P4');//]]></script> DSC_0196-Copy_zps97aa7ae4.jpg&&0

good luck with whatever you choose bud

atb Evo

Bleddy show off :lol:

Thanks for the advice, the reason for springer as said is because it is cheap and I have applied for fac so will hopefully be getting either a 22wmr or 17hmr depending on what I fancy. I personally deem the air rifle to require a lot more skill and also more skill in the art of field craft. I will not stop shooting air rifles as they are simple and to me feel more rewarding having to stalk and get pellet placement spot on to bag thee rabbit where as seeing a rabbit at 100 yards and taking the shot. My budget is around £200 at the minute. If I could buy a daystate I most certainly would But as said funds won't allow. Cheers again :)

You won't get a sub 12 to put a pellet into a rabbit at 100 yards, 30 yes, 100 no!

I think he was talking about a rimfire at 100yrds mole,

well I hope so anyway :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

by the way did you notice I didn,t have a silencer on the wolverine,,,, it didn't make a bit of difference at all ,

in open spaces I honestly don't think it matters

Edited by evo

It do round my way, we have smart rabbits!

smart rabbits or do you really mean the land is overshot ???

I normally like to leave a perm for two weeks before I re shoot it as they can become very wary if you repeatedly shoot the land, a big mistake is to shoot land often made by many novices

smart rabbits or do you really mean the land is overshot ???

I normally like to leave a perm for two weeks before I re shoot it as they can become very wary if you repeatedly shoot the land, a big mistake is to shoot land often made by many novices

Shotgunners go after pigeons nearby, there is a guy who has permission to shoot foxes on it, I have the bunny rights and go about once a fortnight for the rabbits!