How Good Or Bad Was Your Season ?

marsh man

As a newcomer to wildfowling and while still searching for a club membership I was lucky enough to be able to get a couple of guest tickets from a chap in preston and district.

One of those nights saw 11 widgeon fall in just a couple of hours.

I have to say Im a convert and cant wait (although I am going to have to) to get a membership into a local club be it preston, lytham or even morcambe or dee. There is something I like (odd i know) about wading through mud, bailing out gulleys/holes for the chance of seeing a silhouette of a bird passing overhead or in the distance that may or may not make its way into my frying pan! :)

Id say my very very limited season was excellent and long may it continue... :good:

Only one foreshore excursion this year for me, but an abundance of greylags on the farm at home kept me sane, shooting a good few on floodwater. Even had a skein of 5ish pinks come in one night (which i promptly missed) :oops: Lots of mallard at home too, but not proper 'fowling. More foreshore next year somehow!!

Awsome season for me regardless of how many birds in the bag. My little spaniel is coming on a treat even suprised me by how well she brings big greylag back to hand with no problem at all. Learnt an awful lot regarding our club marshes and tides flightlines etc so all in all a top season all round.

Wow coz I have a 32 kg male lab and I can't say big greylag create him no problem at all. Up and down muddy gutters at low water climbing out of flooded ones etc

In a word...Pathetic! Chronic sciatica kept me away from the fowling but surgery will be the decision maker as to whether or not I continue to carry on....also some other factors as to certain fowlers who think they can tell others where they are going to be shooting on the marsh which is out of order and i aint seen that in all the years I have been going,you can't do nothing because you will lose your ticket for breaking bones so it needs attention soon as possible! I will be mentioning it when i send my returns form in....regards DT

Surgery (L5/S1 discectomy and fusion) on my back for sciatica worked a treat and allowed me to continue shooting and fishing.

In a word...Pathetic! Chronic sciatica kept me away from the fowling but surgery will be the decision maker as to whether or not I continue to carry on....also some other factors as to certain fowlers who think they can tell others where they are going to be shooting on the marsh which is out of order and i aint seen that in all the years I have been going,you can't do nothing because you will lose your ticket for breaking bones so it needs attention soon as possible! I will be mentioning it when i send my returns form in....regards DT

Good luck with your surgery when you have it done and lets hope you can continue wildfowling and any field sports you take part in without being in a lot of pain in the very near future .

Back will always be a bit weak, just have to take care of it afterwards. I had 6 months off work after the op (1st June) but was out fishing at the end of July with a little care.

Yeh that's the surgery am booked into have...l5/s1 hopefully before season starts again thanks lads DT.

I had a good season, 3 geese on the 1st, and only blanked on 1 trip out of about 10, which is good for me:-)

I shot my first gadwall and shot at my first pintail.

And flighted wild inland duck for the first time.

I also found a cartridge that I really got on with, which has made a massive difference to my confidence when commiting to a bird.

Also had my first moon flight and 1st goose shot after sunset, laid out on the mud flats at low tide.

So all in all I have had a good season. 😄😄

Three trips only due Memsahib's condition. First one gave me two shots at teal and I missed. Second and third no shots at all.

Did I enjoy them? Dam right I did. Just glad to be able to get there.

Hoping like hell that things will be better next year and I will still be fit enough.

Have a happy summer time fellahs.

Sept 1st wont be long coming around.

Three trips only due Memsahib's condition. First one gave me two shots at teal and I missed. Second and third no shots at all.

Hoping like hell that things will be better next year and I will still be fit enough.

Fingers crossed things are better for you come next season and your good lady's heath has improved enough that you can have a successful season .

Same thoughts as fenboy , as we all look forward to your write ups on your trips after wildfowl .

If I see you at the N Ws meeting I will buy you a pint and have a yarn with you , no offence , but do you still look like Capt Birdseye ? :good: