Hooligan Henry.

JDog

The eighth named storm in the first thirty three days of 2016 brought another lot of strong winds to the top of the Wolds, though nothing like those that the poor people of the north west and Scotland are suffering.

Agaman was due to join me today but he sent a message yesterday to say that he had died. This was a pity as we are forging a decent friendship. Miraculously he recovered from the fatal ailment to say that in any event the Humber Bridge was blocked by a turned over lorry. Finally the real reason for his likely non appearance was revealed - man flu.

The game season only finished yesterday and by some amazing coincidence bangers appeared this morning on all of the rape I was going to watch for today's shoot. There is a certain predictability of farmers/farm managers at this time of year I fear.

Never have I known it before but the pigeons appear to have been worn down by the winds and on several fields I noticed that they were alighting on plough, not to grit but to rest out of the wind.

I too am suffering from wind sickness in that I am sick of it. Whilst I really do enjoy flighting or decoying in a decent wind the recent gusts have been too much and it saps the energy out of my body, to say nothing of the cold.

So flight lines were in short supply today but I did find one and had an hour and a half on it and I picked 19 pigeons. Not one was full of rape, only light gleanings.

You would have been even more sick of it all if i had come over and given you my stinking cold! :yes:

Don't you just love farmers and there gas bangers!!

As per usual your excellent knowledge and fieldcraft got you some sport and a bag of 19 pigeons is a lot better than most can manage at the minute.

Nice read as I shelter from High winds in what should be a winter paradise, Slovakia. I think 19 is a pretty good bag In my book. Here for the skiing which isn't up to much, I think I would rather be battling high winds in uk for a few pigeons. In the morning off to naked spa so things might improve at least for me if not the locals :)

As you say , you can have to much wind and as I get older I would sooner have not enough than to much for pigeon shooting .

Saturday it was gale force when we were doing our best to shoot a few Pheasants and our land is pretty flat with the odd slope between two fields that we call a valley and believe you me I had never seen our birds move that quick and the odd ones I got were more by luck than judgement .

So once again Mr JDog you done well yesterday to get what you did but our good friend P C would have carried on regardless and never gave the wind a second thought even if his disco was blown off the road , somehow he would had managed a bag and put a photo of himself in front of a load of pigeons , I wish I could find out what pills he take .