Howdy.. First ever Gun.. Suggestions?

LucassDouds

I know you guys have probably heard this a million times before so sorry in advance.

As I'm now in the middle of my SGC being processed, naturally I've been looking at guns.

I want either a Sbs or Over Under. No semi autos or anything.

Anyways my question is which makes/ models would anyone recommend? I have a budget ATM.. OF about 600, maybe more if needed.

I'm gonna be doing mostly rough shooting with it/ pigeons/ bunny bashing etc.. So not too bothered about it looking really really swanky. I want something reliable that will do the job, if it looks good too that's a bonus!

Just thought I'd ask you lot as You's clearly have years and years of experience between You's and I have zero.

Thanks in advance!

Luke

If it's for field use I'd actually recommend a synthetic semi.

Pros: less recoil if you opt for a gas eject, doesn't mind mud, water, damp, no woodwork to worry about, gives you a valuable third shot option on busy days in the hide, you don't have to keep breaking it every 2 minute to eject the carts and reload, which does get tedious, especially in a cramped hide, only one choke to worry about.

Cons: It's not as 'traditional'. You can't carry it broken.

With that in mind look no further than an Armsan A612. Pick one up for around £250 secondhand.

Then... save, save, save and buy yourself a nice Beretta or Miroku for 'posh' days or when you get an invite to go on keeper's day or summat.

Edited by mick miller

Google your local shooting school and have a couple of lessons probably less than £50 each, you will learn a lot shooting a few clays with their guns be able to try side by side and the more popular over under

For hide work you dont need anything posh it will get wet and knocked about

250 clays will make you a much better shot quickly and cheaply, where as starting in the field you would need to teach yourself and learn the hard and expensive was

I personally wouldn't buy anything too expensive as your first gun as you don't really know what you are after or what you feel comfortable with, I would spend up to £200 on a gun and see how you get on with it, eg, s/s, o/u or s/a especially rough shooting when you put them down, pick them up generally push them from pillar to to post knocking them about. The surplus of your budget you can keep for a rainy day when you've decided to buy that special gun. Just my honest opinion.

Yeah I was planning on going on the clays to get some practice in first.

Yeah especially if walking about haha. Not so bad in a hide though?

My dad used too shoot and loves semi autos too so I can see him being happy if I go that route haha. Suppose in the long run I could have both. Thanks again men

Fox shooter, I work with an old guy who has shot his whole life and he literally said exactly the same thing.

My advice would be go for a multi choke over and under you will then have a gun that would be adaptable for all your shooting needs , be it field or clays .

Don't worry to much about fit . Guns are made to average measurments which mean they almost fit most but rarely fit anybody . Concetrate on buying the make of gun that you want at the price you can afford . Never buy a gun that is to short in the stock for you unless it is no more than half an inch or so . Extending a stock can be expensive and looks horrible . Don't worry about a stock being to long as this is easily remedied at not to much money . Most guns can be fitted to you for a reasonable cost and is worth having done . Good luck .

Harnser

dont rush to buy anything at this point.Go try a few at local clay ground...you certainly need to narrow it down between s/s-o/u-even semi etc...personally would not start with a semi.........there are plenty of guns out there so no rush.when you are ready to buy need budget to include gunslip and cleaning kit,presume you have safe up by now...dont know your area at all but local clay ground/mates would I am sure let you try a few different guns to help give you a narrower idea...and also you will learn basics of gun function/safety etc?..your age size and build ought to influence a bit too but spend bit of time around regular shooters and you will soon get some clarity. ATB.

I personally wouldn't buy anything too expensive as your first gun as you don't really know what you are after or what you feel comfortable with, I would spend up to £200 on a gun and see how you get on with it, eg, s/s, o/u or s/a especially rough shooting when you put them down, pick them up generally push them from pillar to to post knocking them about. The surplus of your budget you can keep for a rainy day when you've decided to buy that special gun.

+1 :good:

dont rush to buy anything at this point.Go try a few at local clay ground...you certainly need to narrow it down between s/s-o/u-even semi etc...personally would not start with a semi.........there are plenty of guns out there so no rush.when you are ready to buy need budget to include gunslip and cleaning kit,presume you have safe up by now...dont know your area at all but local clay ground/mates would I am sure let you try a few different guns to help give you a narrower idea...and also you will learn basics of gun function/safety etc?..your age size and build ought to influence a bit too but spend bit of time around regular shooters and you will soon get some clarity. ATB.

+1 :good:

Unless your lucky or rich enough to keep your first gun for sentimental reasons you're more than likely gonna sell your first gun to buy what you actually need after your have found out what it is you want! :hmm: Hope that makes sense! lol

Edited by jeffjjack

Maybe. My first shotgun was a Beretta black action 686e. I was pretty average with it to be honest, but I loved the look of it and it 'felt' right in the hands. Not a shabby quality gun either, I read a lot of articles about the 686 and spares/ repair seemed viable, prolonging the use of the gun. There are a lot of 686's sold. A few years later I bit the bullet and had it fitted by a gunsmith. He did such a cracking job on it and it improved my ability with it no end.

Then I got into pigeon shooting and found that the gun was getting dinged, scratched, cover in mud, dirt and blood, and fast becoming a pain to keep breaking in a tight hide. So, I bought a cheap but decent semi for all my rough shooting. Being synthetic I don't need to worry about any of the above and I frankly don't mind if it gets scratched or worn. It's easily serviceable and lighter to carry.

As the OP wanted something for 'mostly rough shooting with it/ pigeons/ bunny bashing etc.' I suggest that a cheap semi would be the way to go. Most come with shims to adjust the cast and drop and LOP can be fettled with the use of a cheap, albeit unattractive, butt slip-on cover. That would allow him to start shooting at a low cost whilst he saves for a nicer gun to use on the range and for keeper's days etc. If in time he decides that he prefers an OU then a secondhand semi will not lose him any money and he needn't begin by spending hundreds having an OU fitted by a gunsmith.

​Regardless of popular opinion, for most of us mere mortals the difference between shooting a semi and OU is irrelevant. Provided the picture down the rib is the same and correct it'll shoot where you point it. I shoot mostly rifles but can happily swap between OU and semi with no apparent compromise in my average performance with either. Both have been adjusted so that my picture down the rib is the same. The only difference being that the semi cost me much less to do, and I could do it myself. The only difference I can think of is that with my heavier OU I can use the weight to swing through whereas with the semi I have to push it through if that makes sense. It's not hard to swap between the two though.

I still think that a good, used semi is a better start given the initial brief.

Go with the one that fits you best, don't get too wrapped up in which make, providing that you like the balance and fit. Best to get some help with gun fitting if you haven't looked at this aspect of gun selection...most RFDs will be able to assist. I would say dont waste your time or money on a cheap "zombie basher" to get you into guns as you've already made your mind up and want to learn to shoot so go straight in, buy the best you can afford up top your budget of £600 and personally, for a do it all gun, I would concentrate on used quality over and unders. Don't worry about having multichoke as for most purposes, fixed chokes are fine at something like 1/4 and 1/2 or similar. I'd be looking at used Mirokus from the early 1980s. Very very well made and will last a lifetime. Just find something like that which fits well as buying a nice looking gun that doesn't fit or balance well is looking for disappointment in the field. Personally, I would caution against a semi auto as a first gun. Not as intrinsically safe as a break barrel, and require more time and care on cleaning plus few, even the good ones, balance as nicely as a well fitting o/u or SBS.

Edited by Savhmr

Whatever any of us have bought and used may not be right for you. Very hard to suggest anything other than what he have used ourselves which isn't ideal.

Try a few out and see what works for you. Get someone to try and see what `fits` you best (not all guns fit the same).

As has been suggested - 2nd hand is a good place to start - work out what you like and if you want a posher gun then upgrade at a later date.

For your budget of £600 to could just about get a 2nd hand Lanber for about £300-£350 and a Hatsan semi-auto! Best of both worlds! :good:

Cheers lads, I was more looking for advice on makes to 'stay away' from, I've heard some people absolutely slate Baikal for example.. Then others sing there praise... I just thought I'd ask for personal opinions / experiences with certain models/ manufacturers.

Thanks for all the Info tho I'm taking every bit in.

Also got 'the phone call' today .. My interview/ home visit is a week on Monday.

One step closer, happy days!

Edited by LucassDouds

Cheers lads, I was more looking for advice on makes to 'stay away' from, I've heard some people absolutely slate Baikal for example.. Then others sing there praise... I just thought I'd ask for personal opinions / experiences with certain models/ manufacturers.

Thanks for all the Info tho I'm taking every bit in.

Also got 'the phone call' today .. My interview/ home visit is a week on Monday.

One step closer, happy days!

One person's Prince, another person's pauper. Some people will love some makes and others will loathe them.

That's the problem with personal opinion!

A suggestion would be to go out and try a few and then come back with a short-list of what you like. Then we can discuss the various merits and open a big can of worms.

I would argue no such thing as a `bad` gun - it really is personal preference. Even the Baikal has a place in some gun racks/4x4's....

I chose to spend less than £150 on my first shotgun, a 1981 Lanber. 5 years later I still have it and have no plans to change, its been perfectly reliable and hits the target same as any other when I do my bit.

Baikal guns are typical Russian guns, built like (from) a tank and will do the job forever, you'll get a brand new one for 400 from Sportsman Gun Centre. Would be an ideal gun for field use.

Personally I would visit a few shops and try a few guns, Wabbitbosher on here always has bargains, don't be scared of a cheap first gun, especially given what you will use it for.

Edited by Livefast123

Going through the same process with my nephew who has just applied for his SGC ,he was talking about a new beretta auto for his FIRST shotgun but I suggested to him to try some secondhand O/Us then if he still wanted a semi go secondhand ,its a big loss if your not happy with your new gun even trading it back to the dealer but as he has about 18 pristine air rifles he bought new and is ANAL about cleaning them ,very much doubt he will buy secondhand,

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN