Fishin', how much and what's needed?

rodp

We won't go in to it expecting big catches, it's the being there that counts, bit like shooting really :good: It's more for time out together, she knows I'm not interested in indoor pursuits and haven't been in a pub for years so it's something we can do together :good:

that's fair enough mate, you'll both love it to begin with :good:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like of Argos do cheap n chearful kits like Ron Thompson etc, you will get a full kit for a fairly cheap price, If you have a Boyes locally, THEY do quite a range of budget fishing gear thats not half bad!

Make sure you use NON TOXIC shot thought. A lot has changed since your 5 shilling kit ;)

If the river is fast flowing I would be looking at perhaps using a feeder rod and ledging rather than float fishing.

If you get an Eel, let the Mrs take it off for you :lol:

I would have helped you but I gave away all my older kit when I upgraded to carbon rods.

Like of Argos do cheap n chearful kits like Ron Thompson etc, you will get a full kit for a fairly cheap price, If you have a Boyes locally, THEY do quite a range of budget fishing gear thats not half bad!

Make sure you use NON TOXIC shot thought. A lot has changed since your 5 shilling kit ;)

If the river is fast flowing I would be looking at perhaps using a feeder rod and ledging rather than float fishing.

If you get an Eel, let the Mrs take it off for you :lol:

I would have helped you but I gave away all my older kit when I upgraded to carbon rods.

Go Outdoors is also a good place to pick up some cheaper gear. As is Decathlon. :good:

Go Outdoors is also a good place to pick up some cheaper gear. As is Decathlon. :good:

my middle lad worked at go outdoors for 5 years untill last december cost me a small fortune when he left, as we got 60-70% more discount with his staff card than there normal discount so when he said he was leaving we made the most of it lol, think i got about a dozen different rods and 7 new reels not including the outdoor cloths and walking boots

colin

my middle lad worked at go outdoors for 5 years untill last december cost me a small fortune when he left, as we got 60-70% more discount with his staff card than there normal discount so when he said he was leaving we made the most of it lol, think i got about a dozen different rods and 7 new reels not including the outdoor cloths and walking boots

colin

When I was over in November there was a sale on at Go Outdoors. Loads of Ron Thompson rods at £9.99 each. Might not suit the tackle tarts, but the fish don't know what's at the other end of the line. All they are concerned about is the bait ;)

Rod have a look at Wassell Grove fisheries,http://wassellgrovefisheries.co.uk/ its still water fishing, this might be better for you to learn on as float fishing a river (Teme) takes a bit more skill, unless you intend to just ledger fish.
The venue is set in a really nice place, I have fished it a few times over the years (summer only) its easy parking so getting to your desired peg is only a few hundred yards at the most, the banks are well kept and wide so there's plenty of space for a couple of seats for you and your wife, it can get busy at weekends during the summer,
There used to-be a small cafe on site where you can get a bacon sarnie.

If its not far from you go and have a look, have a walk around the pools (pick a nice day) my wife loves it there (she does not fish) its set in a valley and on a nice warm summers day you could be miles from anywhere.

Good luck and tight lines

I must have spent over a hundred grand on gear over the years

I could have caught fish with a hundred quid of gear

Ain't that why tackle shops exist lol

I won't be spending that amount I can assure you. !! When it comes to rifles I'm a CZ man so that tells you a lot.

Rod have a look at Wassell Grove fisheries,http://wassellgrovefisheries.co.uk/ its still water fishing, this might be better for you to learn on as float fishing a river (Teme) takes a bit more skill, unless you intend to just ledger fish.

The venue is set in a really nice place, I have fished it a few times over the years (summer only) its easy parking so getting to your desired peg is only a few hundred yards at the most, the banks are well kept and wide so there's plenty of space for a couple of seats for you and your wife, it can get busy at weekends during the summer,

There used to-be a small cafe on site where you can get a bacon sarnie.

If its not far from you go and have a look, have a walk around the pools (pick a nice day) my wife loves it there (she does not fish) its set in a valley and on a nice warm summers day you could be miles from anywhere.

Good luck and tight lines

Good idea :good: Just down the road from the Saturday car boot.

Guys can we not all do a bit better for this newbe?

I'll chip in with a rod. Not the best by any means but it will be enough to either put the Mrs off, or whet her appetite for more, when you can decide whether to spend a bit of money or not.

Sod it, I'll find a reel as well.

The deal is that the rod and reel will be free and I'll pay the postage. In return, you match the postage cost with a donation to a charity of my choice, plus post an occasional catch report.

If like me, everyone has a bit of preloved gear in the loft, I'm sure we can kit Mr and Mrs Rodp out and raise a couple of quid at the same time.

So to get it going, Rodp I'll offer a rod and reel and my charity is Mencap........deal?

Regards

Iaindp

I'll chip in with a rod. Not the best by any means but it will be enough to either put the Mrs off, or whet her appetite for more, when you can decide whether to spend a bit of money or not.

The deal is that the rod and reel will be free and I'll pay the postage. In return, you match the postage cost with a donation to a charity of my choice, plus post an occasional catch report.

If like me, everyone has a bit of preloved gear in the loft, I'm sure we can kit Mr and Mrs Rodp out and raise a couple of quid at the same time.

So to get it going, Rodp I'll offer a rod and reel and my charity is Mencap........deal?

Regards

Iaindp

in an earlier post i have offered to take him out fishing show him how it's done then kit him out free of charge bud,

but good idea

colin

Regards

Iaindp

This is a wonderful idea :good: Rather than scrounge gear, which I had no intention of doing but many thanks for the offers gents, it is appreciated. I would rather pay my way and if a deserving charity benefits then so much the better.

Iaindp, you tell me how much and to whom and I'll sort it :good:

Rod

RodP

If you want to PM me your address, I'll send rod and reel this weekend via the PO and let you know the postal cost.

I think this could work.

RodP gets some gear,

I get to offload some preloved which realistically, will never be used again now that I've updated my tackle

Charity receives a couple of quid.

Everyone's a winner....Delboy

Any other tackle pledges anyone?

Iaindp

Worth having a look at £1 Fishing Tackle, aka Poundshop for anglers............ http://www.onepoundfishingtackle.co.uk/

Plenty of bargains amongst the dross. Watch out for EFT stuff which is generally poor quality and before committing to buy check your order as there is a software glich that sometimes adds multiples to your order.

The electronic bite alarms aren't exactly Fox or Delkim quality and are a bit bulky, but they work OK and at a quid a go are worth having.