Crow and magpie decoys together?

ChrisPCarter

I've not really decoyed magpies before, other than using a single full body magpie in my garden with the airgun which usually works well.

If I'm out with the shotgun decoying crows will it work putting a magpie amongst them (or watching as a sentry) to bring both in?

Will the magpies stay away from a field of crow decoys? Will the crows avoid the magpie decoy?

I've got a crow call, 6 crow shells and 2 full body crows, plus a load of pigeon decoying gear.

Chris.

I was thinking of getting some crow socks as I've loads of pigeon shells and full bodies.

I might even paint a few of my old non-flocked pigeon ones black.

How many crows do you put out? The more the better?

Sounds like the magpies are OK with them anyway

Some, only put 1/2 dozen out and do well with them. Crows/Jackdaws are scarce round my area at present, so I put out as many as I can. Crows/Jackdaws are gregarious. I have approx 60 decoys, but don't use them all. Once I shoot some, they are added to the pattern. I use a 15" bamboo cane and insert it into the bird from the rear end into it's head. The rest of the cane goes into the earth.

Sound advice from Steve as always.

I tend to use 5 full bodied flocked magpies and set a couple of sentries on a hedge or gate post and put a group of 3 together, seems to draw their interest. I tend to space the magpies 15 or so yards away from the crow decoys. I have about 15 full bodied flocked decoys I use for the crows. If the pattern brings them in well I tend to remove the dead crows from the pattern but generally if they stop coming in you know that it is time to make changes. I have had days where bringing in the dead crows helps and others where more dead crows in the pattern had worked.