Car Battery (age)

ditchman

Seeing so many threads about car batteries over the last year..............just out of interest just post what car you have and how old the battery is

mine is (as you know a 1988 landrover Turbo-desiel) it has a heavy duty Bosh battery and is 7 years old..........

My Discovery D3 is a 07 model and I put a new battery in it last autumn. My wife's XC70 is a 06 model and put a new battery in that 2 years ago.

Finally my 1986 Porsche 944 turbo had a new battery fitted in the late 90's and when I sold it to ME in 2014 it was still fine.

at the moment it seems the older the vehicle the longer the battery lasts................less electrics maybe ?

I think you have a good point there ditchman. Like i told my grandson with an old Landrover you dont even need an ignition key, there is one under the bonnet, its called the oil dipstick. A 50 pence piece will do the job, but it gets a bit hot to the fingers. :lol:

Batteries fitted as OE always seem to last longer than aftermarket fitments.

A few years ago,

the fast fit trade started selling batteries with 5 or 7 year warranties, much dearer than a branded battery with a 2 or 3 year warranty.

But effectively they were the same battery, you were just paying a kind of built in insurance/warranty, As Joe Public got wise so the fashion died out a bit.

I'm running a 55 plate Vauxhall astra with the original battery in it, it failed to start a couple of weeks ago after a particularly cold night, jumped it with the wifes car and has been ok since so hopefully it'll last a bit longer with a 40 plus mile round trip for work everyday to give it a charge.

so far it seems that people are for

1. fitting cheap batteries as TAXI DRIVER points out
  2. older vehicles with less electric gadgets on do better

i paid a lot of money out for my Boshe battery...but it seems to have been the right choice...(so far)

Changed my l200 one this year as it was getting sluggish that's about 6 years as it was original. My other halfs rav 4 did the same on its original, that's the first one I know that just died the morning after a decent journey completely dead, jumped and completely dead half an hour later