is it legal to euthanasia youre own dog in the uk

tunza

My last dog went on a one way trip to the wood with the .22, first time I have done it myself and when the time comes in the future it is what I will do again.

Poor old beggar was full of cancer and when the day came he thought he was on a hunting trip, one quick shot into the ground 30 meters away got him staring that way to see if there was anything to retrieve then cycle a second round and a shot from inches away into the back of the head. The old lad dropped on the spot doing what he loved, never felt a thing and no mess.

+1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My last dog went on a one way trip to the wood with the .22, first time I have done it myself and when the time comes in the future it is what I will do again.

Poor old beggar was full of cancer and when the day came he thought he was on a hunting trip, one quick shot into the ground 30 meters away got him staring that way to see if there was anything to retrieve then cycle a second round and a shot from inches away into the back of the head. The old lad dropped on the spot doing what he loved, never felt a thing and no mess.

+1

would it be legal to use a .22 rimfire on your dog?

Who cares? After the handgun ban, my FAC came back with permission to acquire a .22 rifle and a .357 rifle to replace the handguns, and all the rifles had been conditioned for dogs.

+1

Who cares? After the handgun ban, my FAC came back with permission to acquire a .22 rifle and a .357 rifle to replace the handguns, and all the rifles had been conditioned for dogs.

what about some one who didn't have their fac conditioned for dogs??,there cant be many who have!

Not for me im afraid :no: do the decent thing and take him to the vets,show the dog some respect :yes: BB

I think you are totally wrong, your dog your responsibility. I show my dogs total and complete respect at the end when it needs doing.There are no strangers there just me and my dog I couldn't let a stranger do it it's not fair to the dog.I use a pistol or .22 rifle not a shotgun.

No way could I shoot my own dog, a choice between watch him slip into a final sleep in my arms knowing he's loved or option 2 trustingly looking down the barrels of my gun before I blow his brains out. I know which I'd choose.

Yep, if only you could guarantee it was like this every time... unfortunately once you've seen it go wrong with an animal you love it makes you think differently.

the reason why ime asking is my last two dogs the vet took twenty mins on on and a hour on my last dog it broke me after years of being without a dogs ive got 2 more and you can guess the rest

I presume you mean "the vet took 20 mins on one and an hour on my last dog". Jesus Christ! You need to find a new vet!

I had our "Silver" a Beddy-whippet" put down by the vet after a stroke a couple of years ago. I was with her throughout the procedure. Yes it was very hard to do, and It was heart breaking. But it was the least I owed her after all those years of love and affection.... It took less than a minute in total, after painless injection of a good dose of Pentobarbital. It was like she just fell asleep.

I personally would never take a dog of mine to the vet again

And for all those that say "give the dog some respect" well I do... the utmost!!!

I have seen massive suffering and heartbreak via vets when it comes to putting animals down! I have never seen a dog suffer when put down with a 410

Nice long walk in the field, last few minutes together, pocket full of favorite treats and job done... but as other have said you have to be happy and confident to do it.

Yes it is legal, yes it can be done.

Despite my previous post, I can't argue with what you say. Especially if being at a vets, or being around a vet (They know by the smell I believe)

So if the dog is happy and capable of going out for a walk and enjoys it, then I see no wrong with a well placed close up .410 shell to the back of the head with the dog being totally unaware. It would take more balls than I have though......

I have never done it myself, although I know those that have.

I honestly couldn't tell you if I would be able to do it, but I will make my decision when the time comes.

in fairness, I know that a friend did it himself and has said that he is glad that he did. it was very personal and no one else was involved.

he took bess (springer) out to a wooded permission where they had spent many, many hors together and spent a good 2 hours with her. although she could barely walk when he took her there, he say's she acted like a pup again when she knew where she was.

to this day, he is adamant that he has never seen her hunt so hard for a squirrel that he dropped with his rimmy.

when she found it, and returned it to hand, she turned and sat just in front of where he was stood - facing away from him... almost like she knew what he was going to do.

the rest is history.

Edited by brett1985

Unless you have a steady hand and are totally confident the dog won't suddenly move its head as you fire please don't use a .22, saw it go badly wrong once. a 410 to the back of the head is much better. If you think you can handle it fair play, however worth bearing in mind once you have seen it you can't unsee it, the one that went wrong probably about 10 years ago I will never be able to forget that

Not the last memory I'd fancy for my old pal

what about some one who didn't have their fac conditioned for dogs??,there cant be many who have!

Mine fac is conditioned for 'humane dispatch of animals'

Also, depending on what definition is used, euthanasia is a 'gentle, peaceful death', a shotgun blast to the turnip is neither, effective, but not gentle or peaceful. Being the pedantic I am, I'd use the word 'destruction' or even 'marmalised'

Edited by kyska

Not everyone can do it as some people are not that way inclined, I've shot a few and will do my own dog when the time comes. My preferred method is a singe shot from a 410 face to face with the dog so you have its full attention and that way it shouldn't move its head.