Smart gun slip

Monkey Nuts

Chaps,

I want to pick up a smart shotgun slip for my new 30 inch O/U at the shooting show next weekend. I've spent out on rifle slips in the past but never really on shotgun slips. Now I've got a decent O/U for game days I want to get a well made slip to protect it. My £20 slip looked a little out of place on my 2 driven days this year!

Any suggestions? Happy to spend around £150. Croots seemed number one?

Thanks

Edited by Monkey Nuts

I cannot recommend classic shooting essentials on eBay enough, his gear is top notch , I have a cart bag and two cart belts, the workmanship and quality of the leather is fantastic, he makes for other companies , he sells under the name Murphy99 or something like that, I wil be honest and say I prefer his gear to croots and I have 3 croots slips, two byland leather and a tweed one, had I not of bought the croots ones (all second hand) I would have bought a classic shooting essentials one no question.

The other option is to look for older croots slips before the 2010 rebrand, it will say AC supplies on the spine, same slip just made before 2010, you still see some in shops badged as croots as must be old stock, still have the same price tag though!!

I've got one of these Croots Rosedale ones with the handles and strap.

http://crootsengland.co.uk/croots-country/range/rosedale/shotgun-slip-with-flap-zip-and-carry-handles-loden-green-with-tan-leather.html

I absolutely love it and it's so convenient to use with both carry options.

I got mine from York Guns a few years ago with free initials embossed and free delivery.

£155 now but currently out of stock.

That will cost you close to £200 from Croots themselves.

I've just bought the un-lined roll up version cheap off eBay for another gun to cover a few more options.

John shooter half the price of croots!

These are local to me and I went to look before i bought, so glad i did as thought the quality of what I saw was rubbish. I had high hopes but even the wife was shocked and they just buy them in from Turkey or somewhere like that as they were unpacking boxes of silps when I went.

ATB

Matt

These are local to me and I went to look before i bought, so glad i did as thought the quality of what I saw was rubbish. I had high hopes but even the wife was shocked and they just buy them in from Turkey or somewhere like that as they were unpacking boxes of silps when I went.

ATB

Matt

When I looked online some of the stitching was very poor on the oval on the flap

Where it buckles closed, looked like a novice had done it.

I keep looking at canvas like the Guardian Heritage for 62 pounds delivered and then think for twenty more I can have it in leather, easy cleaned and if you treat it waterproof. I already have a leather slip made from saddle leather but it's very heavy and too much for a light game gun and heavy to drag round a clay ground. Tend to use a Musto green quilted open at end one I've been using for a few years, it's now worn out so need to replace.

Watching this thread with interest.

Edited by figgy

One thing to consider is how well it fits your gun.

I have a Croots 30" Malton best leather - and it fits my 30" Beretta (and a few other 30" guns I use occasionally) with room to spare, beautifully made, high quality leather, but its not a particularly good fit as the gun can move about a fair bit. However my 28" guns (which is what I use nearly all of the time nowadays) slop about very loosely in it - and I have gone back to using my 40 year old Brady imitation leather sleeve for them. In those days, Brady made several different lengths, and this one fits my 28" guns (with 14 3/8" stocks on them) like a made to measure job! Still going strong 40 years on, though it has had a new zip fitted.

I would have bought another Brady, but they don't seem to do the same range of lengths anymore - and I have been told that the business changed hands and now it's not the same family business, quality isn't quite what it was. Certainly, of two Brady cartridge bags I have, both are well made, but the 40 year old is better made and better leather.

I bought the Croots from an ebay seller (name now lost) who gave a good price and excellent service.

ATB

Matt

Hmm ok I looked at one/some at a show a couple of years ago and they seemed decent shame......

I have a Guardian slip from Sportsmans that's 3 years old that I use for all my tramping about. I bought it on price and it shows, The strap has not yet detached from the slip but its only a matter of time. At my current rate of use It will fail within the next 12 months and need repairing. There is nothing wrong with the rest of the slip though.

With this in mind I have recently bought a Croots Malton range shotgun slip and cartridge bag with some money from a long service award at work. The quality is excellent (as it should be for the price) and it should see me out. I got it off ebay from a shop called Field and Stream when a "sale" was on.

An alternative manufacturer that has been highly recommended in the past is Phil Ogdens Sewing Services. Search www.ogdensshootingsupplies.co.uk

A leather gun slip is £190 and cartridge bag £140. Definitely worth a look.

Rich

an awful lot of the local game gestapo have been seen to be using the Hamilton deluxe slip stands... the leather jobbies.

carry out to the peg, pop the legs out and leave the gun in there until the drive starts.

also has the added bonus of not getting covered in mud as it doesn't have to be laid down on the floor....