Jamie Olivers Capri

fatchap

A friend of mine has started restoring a John Player Special, if you're interested I could put you two in touch.

It's been fully repainted inside and out but not fitted up yet.

Cos

Used to love them and the F1 cars in their livery.

Fraid not ,I'll see if I can scan some photos of my v4 2.0gtxlr in later with the mat black power bulge bonnet , one owner stock car when i got it

Eta I believe it was the letter "r" on the order sheet that denoted the Matt black bonnet

I would guess you could order what you wanted up to a point, but the 2 litre essex v4 as standard came with the flat bonnet we had one of those too for a short wile after the wifes 3 litre.

All the 3 litres had the bulge and indeed as i remember it they needed the bulge as the inlet manifold between the banks had a biggish mettal pan type air cleaner on top of a twin choke webber carb, and i do remember on the essex v6 3 litre the carb had a spacer under it with a sort of cheap pressed tin baffle thing, that helped with distributing the fuel to the two banks of cylinders.

Reason i know is that the youthfull quest for free horsepower had me removing the pressed tin baffle :yes: only to find ford had not got it all wrong after all and it did run terible with it removed, :lol: .

A lot of the arguing could have been solved by just going onto the dvla websites and looking the numberplate up !

It is a 3000GT, first registered on 8th March 1970.MOT'ed until 4th August 2016, Taxed until end of July.

At the last MOT, it had 45,562 miles on the clock, and initially failed on a windscreen wash issue, with 3 advisories (2 suspension, 1 exhaust)

The Capri is an Icon, a car that made such an impression on many of us of a certain age, and probably many others as well.

With all the old classics being reborn, Mini, Beetle, Fiat 500 etc why hasn't the Capri come round again, I can't believe there isn't a market for them!

My Mrs is 36 so not really of that era and can't stand the look of them, driving round with a boot full of ballast so you could corner quickly was a bit of a bind.......... I've iften thought about selling my camaro to buy a decent mk1 Capri but I'm not likely to get anything as special as that GTXLR so it would be a step down

I love watching the them in the classic races near us at snetterton , I never thought they went round bends but they certainly do well on the race track

In all honesty who has to balance the back end any more,there are far more front wheel drive than rear wheel drive. I have asked two people who have past there tests lately, how front and rear wheel drive can react differently, they hadnt a clue.

In all honesty who has to balance the back end any more,there are far more front wheel drive than rear wheel drive. I have asked two people who have past there tests lately, how front and rear wheel drive can react differently, they hadnt a clue.

i have 350BHP RWD Manual with no traction control, balancing my rear is a common occurance unless its bone dry out

i have 350BHP RWD Manual with no traction control, balancing my rear is a common occurance unless its bone dry out

Exactly bud, and that is what i am saying of the old Capris, they were tail happy, but were controllable if you had the ability to balance them with your right foot and steering wheel.

If anyone gets one of these after driving anything modern be careful on the first corner,as you are likely to

A. go straight on with massive understeer if you lift off

B. Go through backwards with massive oversteer if you keep it on.( 2.8 and 3.0l only).

Yes the 2.8i specials had a limited slip diff which did no more than punted you off quicker. My ex wife came in one evening and said the car had spun a bit and clipped a curb. She had actually gone over the curb and through a hedge. Broke the wheel and dented a few panels. Ex wife I said.