A carryall that's fit for purpose

I used to be a mad keen carp angler and was always encouraged at the way the manufacturers were constantly improving and upgrading their equipment. Bags, rucksacks and bivvii's were seemingly being re-designed and coming onto the market with great frequency.

I realise carp fishing is probably a more popular pursuit than pigeon shooting but I do find it a little surprising that no company (that I'm aware of) actually produces a well made, fit for purpose, bag that could hold a pigeon shooter's array of kit. I'd love a really well made bag that was purpose made to hold poles ( so reinforced substantially because of the points) , would hold a rotary in its own compartment so that the wires don't catch on everything inside. I'd like a compartment for my flask and sarnies, somewhere to put decoys and of course a hide. Oh and a compartment for a few repair items, secateurs etc

I think I'll have to compromise and get something that's ex - army, but I know it won't quite do the job I want it to. There has to be a market for a well thought out design of large holdall I would have thought?

Would you carry it all in one bag? I had a mate ask me to make him one once for ALL his diving gear. He gave me dimensions and I warned him about the size and weight.

Made it and he filled it .............................. then he couldn't lift it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ended up as a boot liner to keep it all in one place :good:

Hi P For A, I've only found WD equipment suitable for the rigers of shooting or extreme fishing. My army rucksacks have served me well over the past twenty five years with accepted repairs my eight hide poles fit into an ancient rod hold-all with a length of perforated land drain inside it . I recall one night Zander fishing in the Fens when it went to minus ten putting myself into an empty rucksack , pulling the lining up full length and closing the draw cord to retain some heat. I doubt if the Carp Tackle Tarts had thought of that.

If you designed a perfect pigeon bag the shooters in this country would not spend more than " thirty Bob" especially in the east???????

Edited by pigeon controller

Hi P For A, I've only found WD equipment suitable for the rigers of shooting or extreme fishing. My army rucksacks have served me well over the past twenty five years with accepted repairs my eight hide poles fit into an ancient rod hold-all with a length of perforated land drain inside it . I recall one night Zander fishing in the Fens when it went to minus ten putting myself into an empty rucksack , pulling the lining up full length and closing the draw cord to retain some heat. I doubt if the Carp Tackle Tarts had thought of that.

If you designed a perfect pigeon bag the shooters in this country would not spend more than " thirty Bob" especially in the east? ??????

And this is the problem, a virtually indestructible bag COULD be made, but ...................................... anyone want to pay for a days labour at factory rates for a bag, plus materials? :hmm:

Thought not :lol:

They don`t mess about with improvisation. They have a bivvy with a bed and a tv.

If you designed a perfect pigeon bag the shooters in this country would not spend more than " thirty Bob" ESPECIALLY IN THE EAST? ??????

I take it for thirty bob it would have a lifetime guarantee on it , and now I am getting on a bit would the warranty be transferable :good:

If you designed a perfect pigeon bag the shooters in this country would not spend more than " thirty Bob" especially in the east???????

I think you are right. It's going to have to be a large rucksack, ex army as you describe. I've got an old Efgeeco rod holdall that I've just remembered about that will take the poles I reckon. It's made of leather with a real proper quarter inch leather brass studded bottom, they don't make tackle like that any more!

Fair play to you at - 10 in the Fens! I was fishing Redmire Pool about 10 years ago in February when it went down to - 8 on two successive nights. The pool froze over completely so the trip was cut short thank goodness!

Kevin endicott. Endicotts army surplus. I bought a sea sack w

For 17 quid that they will alter for you. Its a huge sack with shoulder straps its very very tough. Fantastic last for ever type of stuff. Give him a call very helpful.

Thanks, I will look into them

These are great for carrying hides pole. D ring allows a strap to be fitted.

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/wychwood-neoprene-wrap-pair?gclid=CNGhxI2H68oCFRBsGwod6EQGFQ

That's really my point Penelope, thanks for posting. The pigeon shooting suppliers (generally) don't seem to think about their clientele as much as the angling suppliers do. Maybe it's just economy of scale, I don't know.

For example, the reason for my original post was that I bought a mega type holdall from a well known supplier about a month ago. When it arrived I knew it wouldn't last so I rang them and asked if they had ever thought of making something more substantial ( for a higher price obviously)

They said they had never had any complaints. Well, on the second outing mine developed a hole in the bottom and on the third the shoulder strap broke! It really was too cheap to be any good.

For example, the reason for my original post was that I bought a mega type holdall from a well known supplier about a month ago. When it arrived I knew it wouldn't last so I rang them and asked if they had ever thought of making something more substantial ( for a higher price obviously)

They said they had never had any complaints. Well, on the second outing mine developed a hole in the bottom and on the third the shoulder strap broke! It really was too cheap to be any good.

I think i bought the same bag from the same well known supplier. It lasted less than two weeks and had holes from sliding across the floor of the landy. I wrote a complaint but heard nothing back.

To be honest as an all round specimen angler (not been for some time though) I have found that most luggage aimed at the angling market to be poor, all made in the far east to a price point, and I have tried a lot of brands, Fox, Nash, Trakker, JRC, Wychwood, Aqua, Cotswold.

That's really my point Penelope, thanks for posting. The pigeon shooting suppliers (generally) don't seem to think about their clientele as much as the angling suppliers do. Maybe it's just economy of scale, I don't know.