First pigeon shoot of the year

NickB65

Well the game season is over and now it is time to turn the attention to the pigeons. The high winds will make for interesting shooting but he hide the farmer (aka father in-law) put out for me in the rape field is perfectly placed with the wind direction. We also have some new toys to play with in the shape of a new hide seat (Jack Pyke Bucket job), new shotgun Browning B525 20 bore, some new decoys (mix of crow and pigeon) and a whole load of netting from Mick...... oh and a Go Pro.

All I need now is the pigeons..... will post how I get on and maybe some footage from the Go Pro :-)

Well it was an interesting three hours.....

I was set-up in a bale hide my father in-law built for me in the rape field and from past experience it was right where one flight line is and where they love to feed. In front of me about 250 yards away was the copse where the pigeons roost and to my right about 500 yards was a road and then more fields wile to me left was a disused railway line and then more smaller fields. The wind was from behind and blowing about 20+ mph but gusting a lot more. The hide was built well with some fire tree branches as a half roof and was high enough for me to stand in with only my head pocking out but the frontage lower so when sat down I could just see over. I set up the decoys in three small groups to my left and right arching out slightly with a nice big killing ground. I popped one or two in the filling ground so it did not look voice and one or two behind the hide. I used a mixture of FUDS, flocked full bodied and flocked half body and 6 FUD Crows just to add a little mix.

The ide was well made and inside it was warm, snug and well comfy. Form the hide I watched the pigeons come in from the far left of the copse from the fields on the left well away from me so I knew they were about. They also flew from the other side of the copse and out to the right over the road to the other fields..... I plopped out the bouncer as I was not sure if the wind was just too much for it so I added it to the patter but in the lee of the wind so it moved but less dramatically. After about 90 minutes a small group of about ten pigeons left the copse coming straight for me but no sooner had they got half way they veered off the way the others had gone to the right.....

It seems the other farmers Rape is more tempting then ours as he sowed his later. Always great to get out and good to try out the new hide but a tad disappointing.

ive had 6 pigeons in three atempts up to now over the rape having a week off this week me thinks decoying the rape is the same every year for me but one good shoot always pops up when you least expect it still nice to get out.on another day things could be different in your bale hide never work them out thats why we do it

I failed today as well on rape. Saw a nice lot of pigeons coming onto the field on Friday, returned this morning to see about 400 on it in a tight flock. put the birds off unshot and set up. 4 hours and a couple of shots later with just one bird and a couple of very difficult chances missed thought it was time to pack up. The main flock had dissapeared somewhere off to the south and only a handful came to the field all from the north.