Disgusting!

Underdog

My rifle shooting is that is! Not been practising enough!

I only realised a fox was visiting a chicken unit yesterday when we walked in that heavy rain so I left it a squirrel and wooddie.

First thing this morning I re-visited and I was about to give up when crossing a stream and emerging from a small spinney to check a favourite field there he was trotting to my left. 100yds or so and soon to wind me I had no choice but to shoot at a walking fox!

What followed was a very poor pantomime of epic proportions!

Shot one connected, abdomen, he ran back, shot two connected, Lord knows where, he moved off some and stopped. Shot three missed :sad1: and shot four connected and ended it.

I need to waste a box of ammo plinking I think!

Don't get me wrong, it was over in seconds but my aiming is all over the place with this light and flighty rifle (may look into this!).

Very heavy fox! Full belly and to my thoughts 30lbs in weight!

In the photo I have to use both hands to hold him!

You can also see the firing point, the scrubby hawthorn bush far left in the photo.

SAM_1384_zpspnubcisp.jpg

U.

Well done UD difficult at times, and its good to see that you were not happy with the need for further shots to dispatch the fox, it just shows some remorse. Better than bragging about the task. :good:

This is why I prefer to shoot them with .22-250 if first shot hit abdomen its game over.....bit more room for error. done same in past with .22wmr 3 shots to kill it out right.

So you say you have difficulty hitting the first 1/3 of a fox size target :rolleyes: Now I understand why I don't have the amount of damage showing on the ones I shoot compared to yours :no:

New barrel. or new eyes :yes:

Edited by Dougy

Well done UD difficult at times, and its good to see that you were not happy with the need for further shots to dispatch the fox, it just shows some remorse. Better than bragging about the task. :good:

So you say you have difficulty hitting the first 1/3 of a fox size target :rolleyes: Now I understand why I don't have the amount of damage showing on the ones I shoot compared to yours :no:

New barrel. or new eyes :yes:

No I never said that...... If it was to stray as ud bullets have for whatever reason a .22-250 to the abdomen would cause a massive wound cavity and 99% of the time drop it dead.

Remember I've also seen some of your foXs gutted and still alive....think new eyes or barrel are required for you too oh perfect one.

This is why I prefur to shoot them with .22-250 if first shot hit abdomen its game over.....bit more room for error. done same in past with .22wmr 3 shots to kill it out right.

I understand but with great respect I have seen wounding from 357,30,270,243,224 and shotguns.

Ironically never lost one to an LR!

It was walking and I was in the wind shooting off hand.

On the face of it UD, I've always found you to be honest, and objective. And no doubt you have remorse for taking more than one shot to dispatch it. And as has been said, that's one big fox! Only you know your true ability, and how good your eyesight is....

My FAC entitles me to shoot fox with wmr and hmr. Would I? At a max of 50, maybe 60 yards in perfect conditions, maybe....

Anything over that, it would need to be a .20 Cal CF for me to take one further than 60 yards. Purely due to not wanting a situation like what you've just had. Don't get me wrong, no-one can be 100%, all of the time. I just make sure I've done everything I can, and a bit more to get as clean a kill as I can.

That doesn't mean that I haven't felt similar to you, when I've made a bad rim-fire shot on a rabbit....

We all make mistakes. And it probably doesn't make you feel any better...... But at least you feel for the animal, which is a damn sight more than some folk have....

On the face of it UD, I've always found you to be honest, and objective. And no doubt you have remorse for taking more than one shot to dispatch it. And as has been said, that's one big fox! Only you know your true ability, and how good your eyesight is....

My FAC entitles me to shoot fox with wmr and hmr. Would I? At a max of 50, maybe 60 yards in perfect conditions, maybe....

Anything over that, it would need to be a .20 Cal CF for me to take one further than 60 yards. Purely due to not wanting a situation like what you've just had. Don't get me wrong, no-one can be 100%, all of the time. I just make sure I've done everything I can, and a bit more to get as clean a kill as I can.

That doesn't mean that I haven't felt similar to you, when I've made a bad rim-fire shot on a rabbit....

We all make mistakes. And it probably doesn't make you feel any better...... But at least you feel for the animal, which is a damn sight more than some folk have....

Not wanting to start an argument but the hmr and the wmr is good for 100 yards, as anyone will say bad placement with a shot out of any gun will lead to suffering unless you get a quick follow up like he did. Everyone makes a bad shot or misjudges something from time to time. Its like saying you cant kill a rabbit with a sub 12 air rifle, might not be advised but it can be done humanely. Good shooting UD