Great roost shoot!!

kitchrat

Great roost shoot last night!!

Really windy, tall beech and fir trees making the birds swirl about high up, really testing shooting. In spite of my being hidden in a large bramble bush, in full camo, face mask and gloves they would see any movement and the wind would take them to safety in a split second. I found that raising the gun when a bunch could be seen approaching through the trees would work better if one came into my field of aim but I was still only getting about a 20% hit ratio. The wind was so strong the poor birds couldn’t hold a steady course and give me something to swing through if they had wanted to!!

Later I spotted an area with lower trees around the edge of the wood and birds coming in seemed to get less buffeted about by the wind. As the light failed, they couldn’t see me so well either and the odds swung in my favour!!

I must have had about 125 shots but picked up 45, which in a dark wood with no dog is not going to be all of them.

Great sport!! More shooting and a better challenge than a £900 pheasant day on Exmoor!!!

Much better than my miserable 3 from 24 shots. Did not seem to have many coming in and all the shots I had were birds passing over rather than coming in to roost. Must do a reccy and see where they are roosting.

Did not help that no-one else was out in the parish apart from my mate in the next wood. I think they were all sat in the cosy warm pub watching rugby.

That sounds like a serious roost shooting session. I had 25 on Saturday in the extreme winds. Some absolutely awesome shots that make it the cheapest but one of the best types of shooting. What's the most people have shot on a roost shoot? I hear people say they expect 60+ every time they go out. That isn't going to be very common round our part of the country but we do occasionally get v respectable bags in my eyes.

had quite a good one last saturday not a big bag but 12 pigeons and 1 rabbit for 16 shots

as you said very very quick in the wind

hopefully more to come this saturday

has anyone tried lofting some decoys for roosting ? just thought they might come in if they see other birds already in the trees

Yes I have tried it BUT getting them down in the dark, especially if it's windy, makes for a nightmare - I had to shoot a branch off and the decoy broke when hitting the ground. Not worth it I feel.

Pray for wind this Saturday....

Hi yer did think about getting them down in the dark but then thought about taking a lamp with me

(more kit to carry) just thought it might make them come in better

into a safe roost area anyone else tried it ?

Also, I do tend to move about in the wood as they "learn" where not to come in ( or rather follow others who get in safely)....

what a different,s a week makes

only fired 7 shots tonight for 4 birds none of us done any good

thought it might be ok with a cold east wind blowing a little bit

never mind always next saturday

Same here, 2 down for 5 "speculative" shots. Saw less birds than I shot last week!!

On the lofting poles thing, the trees in this wood are 90-100 feet tall, can't get a decoy up there!!