Where do you keep your cabinet keys?

aldivalloch

Surprised nobody picked up on this. I'd say the FEO was wrong.

+1

An open ticket is just that. It entitles the holder to shoot anywhere that he has permission and where he considers it safe for calibre etc.

This sounds like it may have been confused with the requirements of a closed ticket where you can shoot over land other than your primary permission providing that you are authorised by the landowner and where your licencing team have cleared the land for that calibre.

The confusion could be in the definition of your primary permission which needs to be stated on your application. When my last variations came through, although I have an open ticket, they still required me to have my primary permission cleared for the new CF calibres but the certificate was returned with an open ticket for my 223 allowing me to shoot anywhere I deem safe/have permission without notifying licencing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always overdo everything, I've a cabinet for my rifles, a cabinet for my shotguns.

A safe for my ammo (rifle) and a separate safe for my bolts and a few cartridges

I keep the spare keys in the ammo safe also.

As for my first set of keys for both cabinets, I leave them in the locks in case I lose them :whistling:

Edited by tonker

If you have a trusted shooting buddy, and you both only have section 2 guns in your cabinets, then you can hold each other's spare keys in your gun safe. Not valid if one or both of you have section 1 guns in there, since only you (the license holder) can have access to them. However, you can give an authorised person (ie another shotgun certificate holder) access to your section 2 guns with your permission, which is why it's ok to keep each other's spare keys in this scenario.

Edited by Exudate

Gentlemen, I thank you for your responses.

Some have been more useful than others, but they've all greatly brightened a rainy evening - together with the very large 16 year-old Glenlivets we drank to mark my neighbour's birthday.

The even larger Cragganmores we used to wash down the Glenlivet were the icing on the cake that we didn't bother having - given a choice between damaging our livers with alcohol and damaging our teeth with sugar we wisely chose the former as we'd have to pay for dental treatment.

Thank you again for the fun.

By the way, and I hate to say it, the Cragganmore was more pleasant than the Glenlivet.

Should I resent this comment??

I always overdo everything, I've a cabinet for my rifles, a cabinet for my shotguns.

A safe for my ammo (rifle) and a separate safe for my bolts and a few cartridges

I keep the spare keys in the ammo safe also.

As for my first set of keys for both cabinets, I leave them in the locks in case I loose them :whistling:

You're not such a tonker then. :good:

I keep mine in my pants and don't explain my limp to anyone.

Edited by Whitebridges

I am not aware the licencing/renewal regulations are different in Scotland, if they are not he has no need to take your existing FAC for a renewal, did you ask him why he wanted it?

The specific wording is required from your FAC to establish if it is Open? What comes before and after this, "anywhere the holder has lawful authority"

Regarding cabinet keys, as far as I'm aware there is nothing to stop anyone lodging a sealed letter with a solicitor detailing key location, with instruction to only be opened on production of a Temporary or Full FAC for your guns.

I am not aware the licencing/renewal regulations are different in Scotland, if they are not he has no need to take your existing FAC for a renewal, did you ask him why he wanted it?

The specific wording is required from your FAC to establish if it is Open? What comes before and after this, "anywhere the holder has lawful authority"

Regarding cabinet keys, as far as I'm aware there is nothing to stop anyone lodging a sealed letter with a solicitor detailing key location, with instruction to only be opened on production of a Temporary or Full FAC for your guns.

Doesn't the envelope need only to say "to be opened after the death of Mr "Blah Blah" ... no need to mention FAC as that can all be done on the inside. The solicitor will then have access to a cabinet but no access to the property which is yet another safeguard.

Doesn't the envelope need only to say "to be opened after the death of Mr "Blah Blah" ... no need to mention FAC as that can all be done on the inside. The solicitor will then have access to a cabinet but no access to the property which is yet another safeguard.

I'm no expert on this situation, but simply on death means someone not authorised "may" have access to guns. The family have no legal right to that information as far as I'm aware, but if they write to their police region they will be granted a Temporary FAC and can then access Firearms. There is no need for the solicitor to open, or know the contents of the letter.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Funny that about Keys:

My Feo asked me to open cabinet to check guns, When I asked him to turn his back so he didn`t know where I hide them, He remarked it was him that issued the certificates.?..

To which I replied that the day before a Copper Had Killed his wife and two kids, TURN YOUR BACK..

Which he duely did,, And never commented again on the subject, Yer Right::

If you knew he was coming would you not just have your keys in your pocket to open the cabinet.

Who cares about what happens to their keys guns etc after they are dead, let the police sort it out.

Easy to say 😟

And if you had a pair of purdys and lived in a area where the licencing authority policy is destruction of unlicensed weapons ?

They are unlicensed the moment you fall of your perch

Would you think the same or make provision

Maybe lodging a set of keys with your local freindly Rfd

Just a thought

Of

I had the same talk with the FEO that came to our gun club regarding our section 11 certificate

She said that whilst its wrong, they would rather the wife/husband/partner should know the location of the cabinet keys, it would make everyone's life easier if they knew where they were when the licence holder popped their clogs,

I live on my own and as been said many times above that it doesn't matter because you're dead, it just takes away the stress of those left behind of trying to sort the guns out.

I suspect that many partners do know the location but don't admit it?

:shaun:

I am very surprised he did not leave your old licence or a copy of it.

also it sounds like they got in touch with you first, you did not know who they were and then they asked where your keys were.

was this a scam?

That's not what I said. I initially got a courtesy telephone call from the local station, the renewal papers arrived by post the following day, and the discussion about the keys took place face-to-face during the officer's home visit.

No scam - not unless the officer sneaked into the police station to use the phone and then went back again a fortnight later to borrow a uniform and a marked car for the visit!!

That's not what I said. I initially got a courtesy telephone call from the local station, the renewal papers arrived by post the following day, and the discussion about the keys took place face-to-face during the officer's home visit.

No scam - not unless the officer sneaked into the police station to use the phone and then went back again a fortnight later to borrow a uniform and a marked car for the visit!!

didn`t mean anything by it but with what`s going on with scams lately(ringing from the bank and sending someone round to get your card), you can never be to careful

and my old FAO came round in a plain white van, and an old pair of jeans and shirt

didn`t mean anything by it but with what`s going on with scams lately(ringing from the bank and sending someone round to get your card), you can never be to careful

and my old FAO came round in a plain white van, and an old pair of jeans and shirt

No problem. And you're spot on about scamming - it seems to have become a national sport! We now have a phone that filters unfamiliar numbers.

The officer who came to see me was in full uniform including body armour, baton, cuffs and pepper spray, and arrived in a marked Focus estate which she (yes, I've got a female feo) neatly reversed into our little drive to keep the street clear.

The effect was fabulous - my nosey neighbours were suddenly all at their windows, only to be caught in the act when I went to the door!! Made my day!!

Crumbs do you all in love castles! If it wasn't for the cabinet I would have no places to stash anything, a house is only so big.... Won't take too long something.... Leaving the keys on a hook in the hall with a tag labelled " gun cabinet" is probably not secure enough.....

If you think you other half, kids don't know where you stash stuff then think again......

On another note wills don't get read the day or even week you die..... When my grandfather died suddenly the police arrived PNC flagged guns in the house and they insisted the guns were removed that night! As he was dead they were unlicensed .... Had to be removed no other options, had he gone to hospital and been there a week or more no issues but oh no that wanted it all done that night, resulting in my mum and her sister having to go through all his things to find the keys to then go up the attic with plod and the. Fill out paperwork a couple of hours after discovering him deceased.....

Make it a bit easier on your loved ones and don't put them through that.......