So, moderators!

Underdog

Hate the things!

But this light CZ of mine is flighty, without a mod and with the mod that came with it a much nicer rifle to aim off hand!

So,without screwing the blasted thing off every time, just how can that muzzle crown be protected from moisture?

U.

Edited by Underdog

U is that CZ a rimfire? I have left the mod on my CZ .22lr for 10 years and there is no sign of corrosion. I use the rifle most weeks and sometimes two or three times. Only time it comes off is to dry it if the gun gets wet, being fair that is quite often at the present time, but that is down to the weather this year. Same applies to my Marlin 17hmr, but that has a stainless barrel and is used less.

Edited by Fisheruk

U is that CZ a rimfire? I have left the mod on my CZ .22lr for 10 years and there is no sign of corrosion. I use the rifle most weeks and sometimes two or three times. Only time it comes off is to dry it if the gun gets wet, being fair that is quite often at the present time, but that is down to the weather this year. Same applies to my Marlin 17hmr, but that has a stainless barrel and is used less.

Yeah, I understand about LR. The bullet lube protects the bore and crown somewhat.

This is a CZ WMR,so no bullet lube!

same difference IMO

I would still take it off though

only reason my .22lr one stays on is the barrel is 12" and the volume/type of powder is nothing like as corrosive as 20+gr of nitrocellulose powder with the amount of vapour involved

you have almost double the powder charge

just not worth it for the hassle of unscrewing and screwing

if you are worried about weight get a shorter lighter mod

Thanks chap. Re the weight, its the weight that steadies the aiming of my rifle for me in this case, hence contemplating putting it back on.

Just been thinking, maybe a rod and patched jag down to the crown and a quick squirt of WD up the mod might do!

What ya think?

Persoanlly I wouldn't put WD anywhere near the mod. Rimfire ammo doesn't produce the same amount of reactive fouling of CF ammo and putting WD in the mod it wont easily dry out and could result in a sludgy mess sliding down the barrel exactly where its not wanted. The advice to me was always to remove the mod, tap it out or take it apart (if of that type) periodically for a scrub, but avoid using anything other than a stiff brush on it. I always store mine with the mods off as it only takes a few seconds to put the things back on. No risk then of any crown damage.

Persoanlly I wouldn't put WD anywhere near the mod. Rimfire ammo doesn't produce the same amount of reactive fouling of CF ammo and putting WD in the mod it wont easily dry out and could result in a sludgy mess sliding down the barrel exactly where its not wanted. The advice to me was always to remove the mod, tap it out or take it apart (if of that type) periodically for a scrub, but avoid using anything other than a stiff brush on it. I always store mine with the mods off as it only takes a few seconds to put the things back on. No risk then of any crown damage.

Yeah but no but yeah but how about storing the gun muzzle down ! 😁

This is what I have done.

Removed the muzzle weight I fitted trying to improve its off hand capabilities.

The muzzle was damp with that there any way!

Inserted a rod, jag and patch so it poked out the muzzle some.

Fitted the mod.

Gave a quick squirt down the mod of WD.

Push rod though and removed.

Removed mod to check and there was a slight coating of WD on the crown!

I will do this for a while and see how it goes.

Next step is zeroing and testing the off hand shooting!

The moderators live on my rifles, all of them, all the time.

The crowns get cleaned when the rifle gets cleaned. My Centrefires are stored muzzle/moderator down, rimfires moderator up generally. Centrefires are cleaned every use (and their moderators), rimfires are cleaned when required, and their moderators rarely. Maybe just knock out a bit of crud.

Never sprayed anything in any moderator.

Never had a problem.

:good:

.22 lr cz 455 :good:

Yes mate, LR uses a lubricated bullet and that lube gets everywhere.

In doing so it also forms a barrier between any moisture and steel.

Very rarely will you see an LR barrel with rust damage.

Any rimfire other than S,L orLR currently uses a dry bullet so no barrier is formed thus water vapour released from the combustion can settle on the steel. This is my concern on my WMR. ☺

Yes mate, LR uses a lubricated bullet and that lube gets everywhere.

In doing so it also forms a barrier between any moisture and steel.

Very rarely will you see an LR barrel with rust damage.

Any rimfire other than S,L orLR currently uses a dry bullet so no barrier is formed thus water vapour released from the combustion can settle on the steel. This is my concern on my WMR. ☺

There is lots of .22lr ammo which is not lubricated, but lube on some appears to be applied by trowel.

I think you are getting a bit too concerned here, I have been shooting since the 70's and never had an issues with .22lr, WMR or, in more recent years, HMR. My rimfires have lived with moderators attached, been stored with the muzzle up and cleaned when required.

They get looked after and they get cleaned, but they get nowhere near the attention my centrefires get.

I have never had any barrel/crown issues with any.

There is lots of .22lr ammo which is not lubricated, but lube on some appears to be applied by trowel.

I think you are getting a bit too concerned here, I have been shooting since the 70's and never had an issues with .22lr, WMR or, in more recent years, HMR. My rimfires have lived with moderators attached, been stored with the muzzle up and cleaned when required.

They get looked after and they get cleaned, but they get nowhere near the attention my centrefires get.

I have never had any barrel/crown issues with any.

No bud not over concerned at all.

Was just after a quick simple solution to protect the bore.

I could well be wrong to state all LR is lubricated but if it looks dry just scrape the bullet gently with your finger nail and you should see a lubricant. Some use a harder lubricant that is hard to see.

Some use a graphite base. Graphite alone will not protect.