New Springer Spaniel Training Advice

Hookie1980

Guys,

I've acquired a Springer Spaniel bitch aged 11 months. I'm currently looking for land permissions for an air rifle with a view to moving into fac rifles/pigeon with a shotgun but am a relative beginner.

My question is what initial training can I complete with her towards being a working gun dog. Can anyone steer me in the direction. Im obviously not looking to her being perfect overnight but any training suggestions or anything I can start doing with her when I'm out would be appreciated.

She is quick to learn and extremely intelligent and I'm hoping she will take to some training that would assist whilst engaging in my hobby.

Regards,

Hookie

You'll get 1001 different answers on here.

What's the background on the dog? Breeding/pedigree, working parents? Any previous training (sit, stay, recall etc) Why did they leave previous owner?

It helps to know what you've got before we give you lots of useful/useless advice!

+1 for getting a book - lots of good stuff out there. It will help you understand the principles before you try to train the dog. Maybe try to find a local gundog club?

Good luck with her.

Basic training , sit stay , recall, basics can be done indoors and as young as they will accept it.

every dog is different you have missed the reall time to ge tthe basics installed but still plenty of time to get her upto speed.

Enjoy the challenge and try not to give up on her she will come right with your patience and time.

There is a saying.....

To many chiefs and not enough Indians

Or

To many cooks will ruin a broth

Moral of the story is you will get 100 different ways off 100 different people conflicting each other ......like as already been said buy a good book or a set ov DVDs and stick to that method...atb

Will buy a book guys. She has working parents. Was given up owing to violent relationship split and dog in training crate for 9hrs a day. She's only 11 months.

Reluctantly given up in interest of fairness.. Separated from another dog and taken on by myself this weekend. There is no indication or signs she has suffered any abuse. Very happy and intelligent. Sits and goes down at moment. Quick to learn.

I know it's not going to happen overnight. Happy to put time in and started with air rifle to gain permissions and progress to .22 LRs and shotguns. Didn't want to rush in and although I like a precision shot but im still finding my feet in these very different pursuits.

Am not looking for miracles to happen but to start training her and familiarising myself with the breed

Spaniels. Training doesn't have to have a permission. Start by walking the dog and when you stop the dog stops. Work on getting the dog to listen to you. So if you say stay you can walk about around it without it getting up and either wandering off doing it's own thing or just being a spaniel. Don't hit the dog or shout at it just keep working on repetition of simple commands until the dog does what you commanded it to do and then play so it gets to associate obedience with fun and play rather than a beating for not doing what it didn't understand in the first place. The hunting instinct is already built in, you have just got to attune yourself to the way a spaniel sees it.

Edited by fortune

Decide what you want and train for it

Don't compromise on stuff you need

Read everything you can from the great spaniel trainers of the past and present

Why did you buy a dog meant to flush and work cover at short range when you have an Airgun and a desire to own rimfire?