20 bore, 30" or 32" barrels

matty*

Hi Matty,

I've had a similar dilemma recently. I can honestly say that I have not found any of the 32" barrel guns front heavy (B725, MK60). The problem I found is that cause I'm vertically challenged they where just too long for me. Some may argue that the extra 2" helps on longer targets but for me it made no difference at the clay ground when compared a 28", 30" and 32". For the types of game shooting I do, the best combination was 30" in 20 gauge (driven & walked-up), so I'm just waiting for the right gun & deal before I take the plunge. Everyone will have their personal preference. I can only suggest you try a few variations and think about what type of shooting you are going to do and the practicality of the barrel length? Remember if it feels right for you then you'll have the confidence in the gun and that's what makes the difference in this game.

I know its not a 20 bore... But my MK70 twelve is a 30", and although i shoot it well, since it is now solely a high bird gun I'd like to swap it for a 32" version.

It depends on what style of game shooting you're shooting, I'm guessing that with a 20 you won't be shooting extreme days in which case the 30" could be the one for you.

How tall are you?

My friend has a 20b Silver Pigeon with 30" barrels and it works a treat. Good on driven but also easy to wave around when hide shooting.

He's not into clays so less fussed about that. It feels `long enough` without being nose heavy.

It is personal preference though so maybe see if you can try a couple?

Also bear in mind if it's used exclusively for game shooting, if you mean driven, then you could argue that you wouldn't be `gun up` all of the time unless taking a shot so the `nose heavy` may not be an issue anyway?

26" but I like short barrels. and they aren't fashionable at the mo so you get some super deals. If you put the lead on the target then the target falls down . One of the son in laws had a 32 in 12 and was offered good money for it so he sold it. He was then offered a 26 in barrel for next to nothing and bought it as a temp. everything he points it at falls and he now loves it. he took it on a driven day a few weeks ago and some of the other guns commented on how well he shot.

Edited by fortune

Isn't it strange how fads come and go.

I've got a couple of guns, two of them date back to the live 'clay" pigeon shooting days 30 inch barrels

Another is a 60s/70s gun which is 26 inch barrels, 25 inch was popular at the time.

A 90s OU which is 28 inch

A semi which is 30 inch

And guess what, they all go bang and if you are "on" the target, you hit it!

My 20 bore is a 30" and love it at that length. Like said above try a few at different lengths and see what's suits you best.

What suits you best is good advice. I've two twenty bores. Both 30" barrels. A Beretta SP and a Miroku MK60. Very little difference in weight and the stocks have been matched (cast and drop) by Nigel Teague. Two very similar guns yet my gun of choice is the Miroku. It just seems to suit me better. Perhaps it's a slightly different gun balance. But I have to admit I'm really not sure why it does but it does feel better. Hence the try before you buy.

Im choosing a 20 over a 12 because for me its a more enjoyable gun to use on a day, i have my auto for everything else that i need to do. Yes i think i may try both, im looking at the cesar guerini magnus jaspe on the tempio, you seem to get alot of gun for your money.

Anyone have any information on them?

My brother in-law and I both shoot 20 bore for game and he has 32" while I shoot 28". Both guns are well balanced, shoot well and we both have good bags. For me the 28" swings better, is easier to swing in small copse or skinny when walking a stand and is that little bit lighter. A 28" will shoot just as far as the 32" or 30". There is also the consideration of the gun bus.... the 32" doesn't fit in the gun rack on the gun bus as it also has a 15.5" stock.

I would try a a few out and don't get hung up of length but on what feels right.

One of the lads came out with us on a driven day with a 32" baretta eell with nice blueing ,prettiest stock I have seen in many a year said he wanted a 32" as it would help him swing better...he was swiftly informed to man up and get himself a proper grown ups 12 bore and its not the length its how you use it what matters

I also forgot to mention that almost all of the guns on our shoot use 20 bore and only a few guest guns use the 12 bore. After having used the 20 bore I now see why and will be looking to use this for the majority of my shooting bar the pigeon bashing.

Why "bar the pigeon bashing"? My 20 bores drop pigeons problem free.

Why "bar the pigeon bashing"? My 20 bores drop pigeons problem free.

Oh the gun will do the business without issue - it is more to do with me being over protective of my lovely new 20 bore and not wanting to damage it - my Arsan A612 is the perfect pigeon gun as the plastic stock just wipes clean and the scratches do not really matter. The stock on my lovely Browning B525 is exceptional and I would hate it to get damaged :-)

Oh the gun will do the business without issue - it is more to do with me being over protective of my lovely new 20 bore and not wanting to damage it - my Arsan A612 is the perfect pigeon gun as the plastic stock just wipes clean and the scratches do not really matter. The stock on my lovely Browning B525 is exceptional and I would hate it to get damaged :-)

That is not only good logic but a very good reason to have at least 2 guns.... :good:

I have a plastic `wipe clean` Hatsan for pigeon clubbing (when I can catch one) and a not so posh O/U for `nicer` stuff. Recently went on a 50/50 share with my missus on a 20b and sadly not got to use it much. It's a junior version so she can use it and 26" barrels make it very easy wave around.