Pup check list (advice)

Old farrier

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid breeders that have a lot of different breeds for sale.

If you can go to a breeder that someone you know has got a good dog from and reccomends it gives you a head start.

See at least the dam, if they also own the sire even better.

Check the pedigree to make sure their are not too many repeats of the same dog/bitch in the lines.

If you want KC registered make sure the litter has been registered and before collection the individual pups are registered.

Never let them deliver to you unless you know them really well or have someone you can trust to check the breeders conditions out. Most good breeder will want to see you anyway before parting with a pup.

Make an appointment with your vet to have the pup health checked asap after you collect it and have an agreement with the breeder that if it fails the health check you can return it for a full refund. (We had to return our first Springer as it had a major heart murmer)

Make sure when you bring the pup home you give lots of attention to your existing dog to avoid jealousy and avoid leaving them alone together until you are sure they have settled with each other.

Have a supply of its existing food ready to avoid tummy upsets.

I have sent you a pm

All ways view the pups with mum

Check all paper work

Check out the people selling the pup try to work them is it just for money

Make sure all the paper works is there for tails

A Crate is a good idear

Make sure the dog is ready to leave its mum 8 weeks

You will need pup food

Mine have a heat mat because I care

If you can go to a breeder that someone you know has got a good dog from and reccomends it gives you a head start.

Check the pedigree to make sure their are not too many repeats of the same dog/bitch in the lines.

If you want KC registered make sure the litter has been registered and before collection the individual pups are registered.

Never let them deliver to you unless you know them really well or have someone you can trust to check the breeders conditions out. Most good breeder will want to see you anyway before parting with a pup.

Make an appointment with your vet to have the pup health checked asap after you collect it and have an agreement with the breeder that if it fails the health check you can return it for a full refund. (We had to return our first Springer as it had a major heart murmer)

Make sure when you bring the pup home you give lots of attention to your existing dog to avoid jealousy and avoid leaving them alone together until you are sure they have settled with each other.

+1

I do believe kc is a load of rubbish tho

Thanks for your input and troubling to reply very good advice :-)

All the best

Of

I have sent you a pm

All ways view the pups with mum

Check all paper work

Check out the people selling the pup try to work them is it just for money

Make sure all the paper works is there for tails

A Crate is a good idear

Make sure the dog is ready to leave its mum 8 weeks

You will need pup food

Mine have a heat mat because I care

+1

I do believe kc is a load of rubbish tho

Very good advice thank you

PM replied to

All the best

Of

Another Goldie OF ?

I am sure you will have done much of your homework anyway if thats the case , they are more a breed bred and worked by a enthusiastic few so less chance of them being bred for the wrong reasons I would have thought.

I think crate training these days is a good idea especially if it is to be in the house with you , if it is to be outside then a heat source would be a good idea for a start , my preference is for a pig / poultry lamp .

Be sure to post some pics of the pup when he is home.

Another Goldie OF ?

I am sure you will have done much of your homework anyway if thats the case , they are more a breed bred and worked by a enthusiastic few so less chance of them being bred for the wrong reasons I would have thought.

I think crate training these days is a good idea especially if it is to be in the house with you , if it is to be outside then a heat source would be a good idea for a start , my preference is for a pig / poultry lamp .

Be sure to post some pics of the pup when he is home.

Thanks fenboy

Done a bit of research and to be honest if your prepared to pay the full £40 there's a lot to chose from 😚😋

Some even have a pedigree 😊

Got a heat lamp so good advice and thank you not sure if itl hang over the sofa but I'll give it a try

All the best

Of

so some sound advise from a breeder and trialler who I respect... http://www.wylanbriar.com/buying-a-pup/questions-to-ask-a-breeder/if they cant answer, regardless of how cute the dog is, walk away..

also, try googling their phone number to see if it throws up a load of adverts for different breeds of dogs etc....

Thanks for the link

Brilliant advice on there and the Google tip very worth while

Many thanks for troubleing to reply

All the best

Of

Thanks fenboy

Done a bit of research and to be honest if your prepared to pay the full £40 there's a lot to chose from 😚😋

Some even have a pedigree 😊

Got a heat lamp so good advice and thank you not sure if itl hang over the sofa but I'll give it a try

All the best

Of

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only you could come up with the above reply, it made me giggle :good:

A young pupils will be a blast from the past for you, best keep Paisley the rabbit out of the way for the first week or two.

Good luck with your choice.

All the best

Sabs.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only you could come up with the above reply, it made me giggle :good:

A young pupils will be a blast from the past for you, best keep Paisley the rabbit out of the way for the first week or two.

Good luck with your choice.

All the best

Sabs.

Your right there SABS I don't want the rabbit beating up the pup it's seen off a few 😋😂

Right there's been a lot of advice on choosing and breeders

Bit of advice on travel of a young pup

And first few days in new home

Go for it chaps 😋

All the best

Of

I usually take the other half with me to hold the pup on the way home rather than put it in a crate / back of the motor .

Also I put an old jumper etc in with the pup , something with your scent on where it will be sleeping , a radio on low also helps settle them during the night .

Resist the temptation to visit the pup during the night if it starts becoming vocal.

Edited by fenboy

I usually take the other half with me to hold the pup on the way home rather than put it in a crate / back of the motor .

Also I put an old jumper etc in with the pup , something with your scent on where it will be sleeping , a radio on low also helps settle them during the night .

Resist the temptation to visit the pup during the night if it starts becoming vocal.

I can see a problem with some of this 😚

I've sort of not told the other half 😊😋

The moment hasn't arrizzen

Oops

Pups are usually travel sick on the way home unless its a very short journey or you are very lucky.

If you plan to have your Wife hold the new pup in the back of the car you will need plenty of old towels or simiiar to put on your Wifes knee to wrap pup and protect clothes. Something waterproof under the towels is a good idea too plus spare towels.

Pack of large size baby wet wipes for cleaning up, always handy to keep in the car anyway. They are better than hand wipes as they are bigger and kinder to skin.

Bin bag for messed up towels and doggy bags for anything else.

A small towel for wiping as you can guarentee pup will throw up while your somewhere you can't pull off the road straight away.

You probaby know this, but if they start excessive dribbling the vomit is usually on its way.

Plan route so you have places to stop and somewhere for pup to toilet. Even if its some of those puppy pads in the back of the car if its an estate car if there is nowhere safe to put pup down outside.

Water and bowl for pup and small amount of food if its a very long journey.

Pups are usually travel sick on the way home unless its a very short journey or you are very lucky.

If you plan to have your Wife hold the new pup in the back of the car you will need plenty of old towels or simiiar to put on your Wifes knee to wrap pup and protect clothes. Something waterproof under the towels is a good idea too plus spare towels.

Pack of large size baby wet wipes for cleaning up, always handy to keep in the car anyway. They are better than hand wipes as they are bigger and kinder to skin.

Bin bag for messed up towels and doggy bags for anything else.

A small towel for wiping as you can guarentee pup will throw up while your somewhere you can't pull off the road straight away.

You probaby know this, but if they start excessive dribbling the vomit is usually on its way.

Plan route so you have places to stop and somewhere for pup to toilet. Even if its some of those puppy pads in the back of the car if its an estate car if there is nowhere safe to put pup down outside.

Water and bowl for pup and small amount of food if its a very long journey.

😂😂😂😂😂

Sorry but you can't have read my previous post

Laughing aside and it is genuinely good advise you have given and appreciated 👍

The pup will be fine breeder has kindly practiced pups in a car for me so itl be fun for it

It will be a long journey with a lot of stops 👌

And I genuinely haven't told the other half I'm getting him

Sea sickness maybe the problem 😋

All the best

Of